The Student Room Group

Struggling to stop caring about what people think

I don't know why but no matter how hard I try, I can never seem to stop letting what people think get to me. I try my best to change that part of me but I can't and it scares me so much. I want to start skateboarding but now I'm not going to, because I've never done it and I feel people will judge me. Likewise I'm trying to go gym for the first time but I feel people are gonna look at me and judge me for not knowing how to use the equipment. I wanna get into gaming again but I feel my friends will mock me for being bad. This is what keeps going on in my head and every piece of advice I've taken hasn't worked. I want to stop this!!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know why but no matter how hard I try, I can never seem to stop letting what people think get to me. I try my best to change that part of me but I can't and it scares me so much. I want to start skateboarding but now I'm not going to, because I've never done it and I feel people will judge me. Likewise I'm trying to go gym for the first time but I feel people are gonna look at me and judge me for not knowing how to use the equipment. I wanna get into gaming again but I feel my friends will mock me for being bad. This is what keeps going on in my head and every piece of advice I've taken hasn't worked. I want to stop this!!

Hey,

I don’t know how much my advice will help but I want you to know for starters that you aren’t alone. Especially in the time we live in with social media a lot of people are constantly afraid of judgment and base their self worth of what others think.

It’s a difficult thing to get out of and I’d honestly just say push through it. Even if you’re uncomfortable in the gym just continue going and ignore everything else. At first it will be hard and you will feel uncomfortable but after time it will get easier and eventually you’ll stop caring. You have to step out of your comfort zone to get confident and stop worrying about embarrassing yourself. It also helps to think of that time is going to pass anyways so you might as well do what you want and if you’re in a situation where others are judging you and it’s embarrassing that moment will end too.

hope this helps :smile:
You're being selfish.

You may think I'm being a d*ck in saying this but hear me out. As someone who once struggled with this issue, I came to the realisation that I was thinking about myself too much rather than being present. In other words you're stuck in your head thinking about 'what ifs' - scenarios that most often than not will never come to fruition. In actuality, majority of the people you interact with or see in your everyday life are too busy thinking about themselves! And if they do judge you for it, they're gonna forget about it in another 5 minutes.

If you want something tangible to chew on in the hopes of resolving this issue then here are some tips that helped me:

Meditation - Meditation takes you out of your head and places you in the present moment

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable - Afraid of doing something due to others peoples opinions? All the more reason to do it then. Can't overcome your fears without facing them head on.

Fake it till you make it - I'm sure you've heard this saying before, but in actuality it bears substance. Fake being confident and over time you'll actually start to feel confident for real

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending