The Student Room Group

Struggling already

I'm a first year and I have an essay due in 2 weeks for psychology and already I'm struggling to get myself motivated to do anything for it. I know all the techniques and the structures of essays and all of that nonsense, none of that is the issue, the issue is just getting myself to actually focus and to apply myself because when I sit down to do work I just can't. I mentally can't. Doesn't matter if I'm in my room, in a library, in a study room, I just can't do it. How the hell do I break through this mental barrier? How am I falling at the first hurdle already?? Clearly I'm just not good enough.
Hi there!

It's absolutely not that you're not good enough. You got there in the first place so you obviously are good enough. :smile:

You say you have a good grasp on how to write an essay, so that's good. Getting started is always the hardest part of an essay. I find that once I have the skeleton of what I want to write planned out, what references I'm going to use and the arguments I'm going to make all lined up, writing it becomes a lot easier. Its just pulling yourself together to get that planning done. You can do it! Just get all your ducks in a row as to what you're going to write about, then the actual writing comes way easier. It's all in the planning. That's the real work.

Best of luck!
-Sam
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a first year and I have an essay due in 2 weeks for psychology and already I'm struggling to get myself motivated to do anything for it. I know all the techniques and the structures of essays and all of that nonsense, none of that is the issue, the issue is just getting myself to actually focus and to apply myself because when I sit down to do work I just can't. I mentally can't. Doesn't matter if I'm in my room, in a library, in a study room, I just can't do it. How the hell do I break through this mental barrier? How am I falling at the first hurdle already?? Clearly I'm just not good enough.

Hiya,

I don’t think it’s that you’re not good enough! So my first piece of advice is to not be so hard on yourself. I think the first year is actually really difficult, in terms of finding a routine that works for you. Plus getting started is actually the hardest part. I’m in my third year and have found that starting is an issue with every assignment. Once you get started it is easier.

This may or may not work for you but I got some great advice from a tutor on the access course that I studied at before university. She told us, at the start of any assignment it feels like a lot to get done, so start small. First step, open a new word document and do the small steps. Add your student number, page numbers, title, headings, subheadings. That’s all you have to do on the first day…unless it’s already motivated you to want to do more! Second step, write notes on the word document of what has to be included in your essays, almost like subheadings for yourself.

Basically, the point is to break the beginning down into very small steps. You can also refer back to this when in the middle of an assignment. If you don’t feel like you can do much that day but the deadline is approaching, do something small again. Check the smaller details.

This has honestly worked for me every time. I always start every assignment using this method and it really helps to break that initial barrier.

I think once you get into the swing of things you’ll be just fine! Good luck, I hope you do well :smile:

Sophie (ARU)

Hi Anon,

It is definitely not that you're not good enough. The first year of university can be incredibly tough, especially as there is so much going on. I'm a third year and I still feel like this sometimes. It's something that a lot of students struggle with, but you just need to find a technique that works for you, and be kind to yourself!

It seems to be common advice here already, but I find that it helps to start small. Starting is the hardest part. I usually split my screen between the assignment brief and a blank word document, type out the heading, my student/assessment number, page numbers, and any other small thing I might need. Then, I read through the brief and take notes from it that would help me to structure the essay or any other important information, creating the bare bones of the assignment. This part is mostly just copying what has been written, so it doesn't feel like work!

Once I've got a document for that assignment, I find it makes it easier to get it done. It may help you to set yourself goals each day like write 100 words or find three useful articles that you can use, which may seem small but you can build them up as you go.

If you feel overwhelmed, remember to go easy on yourself. Start small and do as much as you can. You can always reach out to services that your university offers if you feel that nothing is working for you, such as academic support, where they'll be more than happy to help.

Best of luck, you'll do great!
Isabella

Hey,

You are definitely good enough, or you wouldn’t have got to where you are now! Don’t put yourself down! :smile:

I definitely agree with the above, I still struggle with this now but would say the thing that definitely helps me is starting small and making notes. I find this less of a struggle to start! Then I keep making notes until I can form an essay plan. Once you have the plan and it’s packed out with your notes, I find it’s easier to go from there!

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for all of the kind and supportive replies! I've definitely been going through the motions emotionally (it's shocking how quickly they change on a daily basis) so I have just been working myself up and psyching myself out (get it? 'cause I study psychology? Never mind :colondollar:).

I think a lot of my frustration comes from my lack of understanding of what is being asked of me exactly - but today I found out I am far from the only person who is confused so it has been reassuring being able to hash it out with classmates and the lecturer gave us clarification as well.

I definitely will be taking the slower, more manageable approach to essay writing for now as I think that leaving it all pretty last minute would be detrimental, so all the advice has been taken on board! I even managed to get a pretty decent start to it so I feel a lot better. :heart:
Thanks everyone for all of the kind and supportive replies! I've definitely been going through the motions emotionally (it's shocking how quickly they change on a daily basis) so I have just been working myself up and psyching myself out (get it? 'cause I study psychology? Never mind :colondollar:).

I think a lot of my frustration comes from my lack of understanding of what is being asked of me exactly - but today I found out I am far from the only person who is confused so it has been reassuring being able to hash it out with classmates and the lecturer gave us clarification as well.

I definitely will be taking the slower, more manageable approach to essay writing for now as I think that leaving it all pretty last minute would be detrimental, so all the advice has been taken on board! I even managed to get a pretty decent start to it so I feel a lot better. :heart:

Great to hear it! Good luck with your essay! :smile:

Hiya!

Never tell yourself that you are not good enough. You made it onto this course, that means you are good enough. It is natural to struggle when you start university, trust me you are not the only one who feels like they are falling at the first hurdle and you are not alone in this.

My best advice would be to create a study schedule and a list of goals then reward yourself for reaching these. For example, if you follow your schedule then you get to watch telly at the end of the day and if you reach your goals then you get to have a takeaway or go out with your friends.
Also, take things one step at a time. Do not focus on the end goal, instead focus on a section at a time so that it is less scary and full on. Even if you simply start with writing your name, student ID number and the title, that is still a start.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself; nobody is perfect and we all struggle but you are not alone and you can do this, believe in yourself and take it a day at a time.

Best wishes,
Jess (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending