The Student Room Group

Law career with Life Sciences degree: What degree/Uni

Hi all. I'm hoping to apply for medicine, however, I still have my 5th non-medicine option to consider. I was thinking either Cancer Biomedicine at UCL, Biomedicine at Edinburgh or Biomedicine at Warwick. I was worried Cancer biomedicine is too niche and the entry requirements are quite a bit higher. Edinburgh and Warwick are both good Unis, with Edinburgh edging out a bit higher on the league tables, however, do law firms take on grads with these degrees on. Which do you think would potentially have higher prospects at a top London firm?
Also, could anyone give any insight into how any of these degrees would help e reach patent law? It seems quite cool and interesting but are masters/PhDs required to get anywhere significantly?

Reply 1
I'm by no means an expert, so don't take my word as gospel, but I don't think your degree is likely to be an issue. Those are all good unis and firms don't really care what you study. You should do your best to get legal work experience before the time to start applying for vac schemes and TCs comes around, though, so you can give a good answer to the 'why law?' questions.

Having a science degree is an advantage when it comes to patent law. I've no idea how you become a patent attorney, but if you look at the websites of the firms with the best IP practices, a lot of their lawyers will have a science background. Many of them will have done a masters or PhD as well. I think I remember reading somewhere that the most useful STEM background was an engineering one, but that was ages ago so I'm really not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending