The Student Room Group

is a law degree as bad as everyone says?

is a law degree as useless as everyone says? like people say its hard to find a job after and the salary isn't that great. ( im in year 12 right now, just thinking of careers that i want to do)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ve heard varying opinions. Apparently either interesting and very high stress, and low stress and boring. You get paid quite a lot regardless. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad job, and can be quite enjoyable, if you enjoy making arguments, thinking about justice and a lot of nitpicking and reading (or whatever lawyers do).
A law degree is only useful if its from a top uni, in this day age anyone can go to uni and study any subject they want.A degree doesn’t hold the same value it use to, the only thing that adds value to a degree is the uni you go to e.g. A law degree from oxford vs a law degree from Nottingham Trent, its quite clear what degree is valuable.The only people who struggle to get a a job after doing law at uni are those who went to an average uni.If you go to a good uni you can literally study anything and get a job in law or any corporate industry in general
A law degree is different to a career in law. I just did one and it’s an interesting subject to learn.
I liked mine and have good career. Very interesting degree.
Original post by 17Student17
I liked mine and have good career. Very interesting degree.

Sorry I can’t rate your post (seem to have issues with rating these days). If you don’t mind my asking, what do you do for a career? No worries if you’d prefer not to say. Is it law based?

I can see how law can be seen as heavy, but I think if you can relate it to everyday, real life situations (I know that’s not possible for everything) then I can see how it’s interesting.
Original post by Elijah2004
A law degree is only useful if its from a top uni, in this day age anyone can go to uni and study any subject they want.A degree doesn’t hold the same value it use to, the only thing that adds value to a degree is the uni you go to e.g. A law degree from oxford vs a law degree from Nottingham Trent, its quite clear what degree is valuable.The only people who struggle to get a a job after doing law at uni are those who went to an average uni.If you go to a good uni you can literally study anything and get a job in law or any corporate industry in general

This is not true at all and has become much less important over the years. What employers (and legal employers) are mostly concerned with is what you can show by way of skills and experience beyond the degree. This is where vacation schemes, pro bono schemes and work experience come in. Mr Born in 2004 will have a huge shock if he thinks a degree from a top university is an automatic ticket to a flash legal career.

A law degree is useful but you might struggle to achieve a good salary unless you enter an established graduate scheme or TC. The reasons people have such different experiences is that a lot of people get stuck in paralegal positions on some 16-20k per year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
This is not true at all and has become much less important over the years. What employers (and legal employers) are mostly concerned with is what you can show by way of skills and experience beyond the degree. This is where vacation schemes, pro bono schemes and work experience come in. Mr Born in 2004 will have a huge shock if he thinks a degree from a top university is an automatic ticket to a flash legal career.

A law degree is useful but you might struggle to achieve a good salary unless you enter an established graduate scheme or TC. The reasons people have such different experiences is that a lot of people get stuck in paralegal positions on some 16-20k per year.

Skills can be developed during the two years of training set in place , a 2:1 or a first from a good uni shows you have the ability to keep up and absorb information.Yes obviously this in not wholly true, you can still get a TC going to a lower end uni just going to be much more harder near impossible which forces people down the paralegal route .The main reason many people get stuck in paralegal positions at 20k a year is because they went to a bad uni which also means they have bad Alevel grades naturally putting themselves in a bad position.I mean if i had enough energy to search for statistics that show people from top unis tend to get a better job i would but most people already know that’s true.If you think experience covers poor grades and going to mediocre uni idk what to say.
(edited 1 year ago)
Skills can be developed during the two years of training set in place , a 2:1 or a first from a good uni shows you have the ability to keep up and absorb information.Yes obviously this in not wholly true, you can still get a TC going to a lower end uni just going to be much more harder near impossible which forces people down the paralegal route .The main reason many people get stuck in paralegal positions at 20k a year is because they went to a bad uni which also means they have bad Alevel grades naturally putting themselves in a bad position.I mean if i had enough energy to search for statistics that show people from top unis tend to get a better job i would but most people already know that’s true.If you think experience covers poor grades and going to mediocre uni idk what to say.

You don’t know what you’re talking about. You have the same naivety that a lot of people have pre or during completing the degree. The fact that you suggest your skills are less important because you can acquire or develop them during the TC is also quite laughable. It is single-handed the most important thing you need to demonstrate. Good luck answering competency questions with ‘I have a law degree from x top university’.

I didn’t say that experience could substitute poor grades. But experience can more than substitute going to a less ‘respected’ university as you say. Just because someone goes a lower ranked university does not mean they also have poor A Levels. For example, a lot of people from the lower socio-economic classes especially go to local universities for financial reasons.

By the way I’m qualified and went to a good RG university before you think I’m making this argument because I went to a ‘less respected’ university. I have worked with many solicitors who went to universities that wouldn’t cut the mustard for you.
(edited 1 year ago)
You don’t know what you’re talking about. You have the same naivety that a lot of people have pre or during completing the degree. The fact that you suggest your skills are less important because you can acquire or develop them during the TC is also quite laughable. It is single-handed the most important thing you need to demonstrate. Good luck answering competency questions with ‘I have a law degree from x top university’.

I didn’t say that experience could substitute poor grades. But experience can more than substitute going to a less ‘respected’ university as you say. Just because someone goes a lower ranked university does not mean they also have poor A Levels. For example, a lot of people from the lower socio-economic classes especially go to local universities for financial reasons.

By the way I’m qualified and went to a good RG university before you think I’m making this argument because I went to a ‘less respected’ university. I have worked with many solicitors who went to universities that wouldn’t cut the mustard for you.

The question was whether a law degree was useful or not,nothing about skills or whether you think skills can change the outcome of going to a mediocre uni.Law is competitive from the start vacation schemes are arguably just as competitive as TCs good luck getting a vacation scheme when you go to a mediocre uni,people on tsr love to sell dreams.Russell group unis largely dominate the top law firms argue all you want but the truth is that a law degree from a RG(and the top non RGs) is more valuable than a degree from a average uni,instead on basis your opinion on your personal view and what you think employers might want despite neither of us being employers, base it off statistics which would show top uni students tend to get the top law jobs.76.5% of trainees at the leading 130+ firms are Oxford and Russell Group graduates, but dont worry go to Nottingham Trent get your skills up and you may be able to compete 👍 because miracle on tsr send so
(edited 1 year ago)
The question was whether a law degree was useful or not,nothing about skills or whether you think skills can change the outcome of going to a mediocre uni.Law is competitive from the start vacation schemes are arguably just as competitive as TCs good luck getting a vacation scheme when you go to a mediocre uni,people on tsr love to sell dreams.Russell group unis largely dominate the top law firms argue all you want but the truth is that a law degree from a RG(and the top non RGs) is more valuable than a degree from a average uni,instead on basis your opinion on your personal view and what you think employers might want despite neither of us being employers, base it off statistics which would show top uni students tend to get the top law jobs.76.5% of trainees at the leading 130+ firms are Oxbridge and Russell Group graduates, but dont worry go to Nottingham Trent get your skills up and you may be able to compete 👍 because miracle on tsr send so

The question was whether a Law degree is useful. I didn’t say that an RG degree wasn’t more valuable than a non-RG degree. You however made a sweeping statement that a law degree is only useful if it comes from the elite universities which is absolutely nonsense. The 23.5% of top law firm trainees who came from non-RG universities would clearly disagree with you.

Just because the majority of entrants came from RG universities does not mean that it was the name of their university that got them through the door. My point was that the name of your university only has not been enough to secure training contracts for many years. What you can show beyond your degree is what matters most in this day. You dismissed that in your response to me because you can ‘learn your skills during your TC’ and you will therefore be in for a huge shock.

Anyway I have no further interest in talking with you because you haven’t even started the degree yet but think you’re more informed than you are. My advice to OP is that a law degree will never be useless, but take advantage of extra-curriculars, pro bono schemes etc and apply for VCs to stand out.

This is patent nonsense.
Just because the majority of entrants came from RG universities does not mean that it was the name of their university that got them through the door.

Precisely. A lot of the top firms are now removing university names from applications anyway - which goes to prove your point. I also agree wholeheartedly with your other posts on this subject.
Original post by springcelti
is a law degree as useless as everyone says? like people say its hard to find a job after and the salary isn't that great. ( im in year 12 right now, just thinking of careers that i want to do)

A law degree is never going to be 'useless'. But there is a significant oversupply of law graduates, so you need to 'add value' to it, particularly if you want to do law as a career afterwards.
The question was whether a Law degree is useful. I didn’t say that an RG degree wasn’t more valuable than a non-RG degree. You however made a sweeping statement that a law degree is only useful if it comes from the elite universities which is absolutely nonsense. The 23.5% of top law firm trainees who came from non-RG universities would clearly disagree with you.

Just because the majority of entrants came from RG universities does not mean that it was the name of their university that got them through the door. My point was that the name of your university only has not been enough to secure training contracts for many years. What you can show beyond your degree is what matters most in this day. You dismissed that in your response to me because you can ‘learn your skills during your TC’ and you will therefore be in for a huge shock.

Anyway I have no further interest in talking with you because you haven’t even started the degree yet but think you’re more informed than you are. My advice to OP is that a law degree will never be useless, but take advantage of extra-curriculars, pro bono schemes etc and apply for VCs to stand out.

There are non russell group unis that are arguably harder to get into RGs you know?That 23.5% is dominated by St. Andrews and Bath and it also includes overseas graduates.No one said the name of uni=training contract i just said going to a mediocre uni makes it 100x harder to break into a law firm and going to a mediocre uni will likely result in you ending up working at a high street firm or being a paralegal stuck at 20k.

Agree to disagree
Original post by Reality Check
This is patent nonsense.

Precisely. A lot of the top firms are now removing university names from applications anyway - which goes to prove your point. I also agree wholeheartedly with your other posts on this subject.

I always see a few people who say that top firms are removing uni names for application, but they also fail to mention these firms and coincidentally most of these firms intake of trainees comes from top unis(around 76% come from RGs).If majority of top firms still have alevel requirements who made you believe that they don’t look at the uni you came from be realistic.
(edited 1 year ago)
I always see a few people who say that top firms are removing uni names for application, but they also fail to mention these firms and coincidentally most of these firms intake trainees comes from top unis(around 76% come from RGs).If majority of top firms still have alevel requirements who made you believe that they don’t look at the uni you came from be realistic.

What in earth are you on about now?
What in earth are you on about now?

Can’t you read? What I said was pretty simple
(edited 1 year ago)
Can’t to you read? What I said was pretty simple

'Can't to you read?' Can you see the irony of that?

You're right, though, to say that what you said was 'pretty simple'.
'Can't to you read?' Can you see the irony of that?

You're right, though, to say that what you said was 'pretty simple'.

To be fair to myself i did change it i just didn’t expect you to reply in seconds, sitting on TSR waiting for me to reply.Agree to disagree you don’t see the importance of going to a good uni whilst i do.
(edited 1 year ago)
Agree to disagree you don’t see the importance of going to a good uni whilst i do.

:laugh: I read law, then natural sciences at Cambridge...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending