The Student Room Group

Advice

I’ve applied for law through clearing I’ve been offered a place , but I’m contemplating whether it’s worth it as I want to do GEM would I be accepted into GEM programmes with a law degree or would it be better to do a science based degree ( If so please give examples )

I didn’t do that well in A-levels CCD , due to factors that weren’t in my control , if I was to resit would my application be looked at ?

And my GCSEs are
77666554 D2
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
You’re doing a law degree with an eye to doing graduate entry medicine. This only makes sense if you’re also open to other career pathways as well. You’ll be limiting your GEM options as well with a law degree as many require life science degrees first. With CCD and no life sciences degree you’re also not going to increase your eligibility to many 5 year degrees either.
Reply 3
Original post by 12XYZ123
I’ve applied for law through clearing I’ve been offered a place , but I’m contemplating whether it’s worth it as I want to do GEM would I be accepted into GEM programmes with a law degree or would it be better to do a science based degree ( If so please give examples )

I didn’t do that well in A-levels CCD , due to factors that weren’t in my control , if I was to resit would my application be looked at ?

And my GCSEs are
77666554 D2

Have a look at the table on this website https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/
Quite a few GEM universities will accept non life science related degrees and some don't look at your A-levels - your options would be slightly limited by have a look which universities you could apply for (go on their individual websites)
If you're a contextual / widening participation applicant then you have a few more uni options too (I don't know much about this bit)
Reply 4
I find the law degree choice a bit of an open jaw choice. Medicine is a healthcare degree. I would be looking at other healthcare degrees if I found that medicine wasn’t an option. Law takes you in a very different direction. If you have any interest in law as a career, your work experience (which you will need and will need to spend a large amount of time attempting to get and then do) will be tailored towards law and business, not medicine. Whilst they can overlap, doing this is likely to dilute the quality of your experiences, especially for law. It’s a decision suggest that the social status and maybe the financial prospects of a career are more of a priority than the sector.
Reply 5
Original post by TMTDRN
You’re doing a law degree with an eye to doing graduate entry medicine. This only makes sense if you’re also open to other career pathways as well. You’ll be limiting your GEM options as well with a law degree as many require life science degrees first. With CCD and no life sciences degree you’re also not going to increase your eligibility to many 5 year degrees either.

Could you please give me examples of life science degrees please ?
Reply 6
Original post by medsock
Have a look at the table on this website https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/
Quite a few GEM universities will accept non life science related degrees and some don't look at your A-levels - your options would be slightly limited by have a look which universities you could apply for (go on their individual websites)
If you're a contextual / widening participation applicant then you have a few more uni options too (I don't know much about this bit)

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by medsock

Original post by TMTDRN
I find the law degree choice a bit of an open jaw choice. Medicine is a healthcare degree. I would be looking at other healthcare degrees if I found that medicine wasn’t an option. Law takes you in a very different direction. If you have any interest in law as a career, your work experience (which you will need and will need to spend a large amount of time attempting to get and then do) will be tailored towards law and business, not medicine. Whilst they can overlap, doing this is likely to dilute the quality of your experiences, especially for law. It’s a decision suggest that the social status and maybe the financial prospects of a career are more of a priority than the sector.

I see what you’re saying and at the end of the day I want to be able to help people with both degrees I’m not bothered about the financial prospects or the status . I’m considering having a look into law as I do have an interest but a part of me wants to do medicine . I’m so confused as to what I should do .
Reply 8
Original post by 12XYZ123

I see what you’re saying and at the end of the day I want to be able to help people with both degrees I’m not bothered about the financial prospects or the status . I’m considering having a look into law as I do have an interest but a part of me wants to do medicine . I’m so confused as to what I should do .

I think the fact you’ve switched from medicine to law in terms of your focus suggests that jumping into this degree is not the best idea because probably not got the work experience to really support that decision. If advice is what you’re wanting, I would suggest the following:

1. Gap year. Gives you a chance to resit if you want to and to explore multiple options. You could see if your current place will let you defer entry and you could decide by end of September whether you wanted to open a new application.
2. if you’re thinking of a resit for a new application to medicine, get BMAT and UCAT booked.
3. Don’t lock yourself into that false binary of medicine and law. Look at the AHPs of OT and SLT, maybe PT. It’s possible to crack 6 figures in income in private practice for those careers and you can do a lot of good with them. Consider mental health nursing as well. Lots of autonomy in those roles.
4. Be really honest about why you are interested in both medicine and law. Think about the reasons you would turn down alternatives to either.
5. Get some virtual work experience. Can’t emphasise this enough for law and try to get F2F if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending