The Student Room Group

My AS results spells ' e-n-d'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mygcserevision
why do you recommened them to resit when AS dont even count towards A2 anymore and unis dont look at them at all anymore as some schools didnt even do AS's

Sorry, didn't know that, as I did CIE and they still count AS towards A2
Clickbait title.
Original post by mygcserevision
why do you recommened them to resit when AS dont even count towards A2 anymore and unis dont look at them at all anymore as some schools didnt even do AS's

i heard the as grades gets carried forward to a2? does it no longer exist? I study outside uk so im confused?? Ps I am doing cie.
It is possible to increase your grades. I got ABB at as, and AAB at A2 back in 2005.

It's hard though. Not only did I have to do better in harder exams, but I had to resit old exams whilst trying to learn new material.

Most people do not improve their grade. Most do the opposite.

I was able to improve because I identified what I was doing poorly. My revision was slapdash and I was lazy in lectures, then I wasn't. If something doesn't change then your grades wont.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nanachan123
This are my grades for AS
C- bio (62%)
D- Chem( 53%)
Yes, they are rubbish. But i desperately want to improve myself at A2. I want to know is it possible to raise those grades to A in A2?
Yeah, i would say so. I'm not an expert on this, but you're going to use your A-Level predicted grades for your university application (that is if you're going to a UK university) alongside teacher references and a personal statement (from my knowledge). Considering the C and D, your predicted grades might very well be similar to your AS grades or at most one grade higher than them. With that said, you're most likely going to apply to universities with grade requirements that match those predicted grades, that even a resit may very well be unnecessary. Nevertheless, resitting is an option, and if you do so you can apply to University using your A-Level grades but i think you would need to take a gap year to do so and repeat the application procedure entirely.

I'm assuming this is CIE, and so you would have to resit both the AS modules for the subjects alongside the A-Level modules possibly in the same year (unless you're not an international student). It can be done but it obviously requires a lot of dedication. If you are in no way satisfied or willing to continue with those grades, then i would say resit all the AS modules and start formulating a plan on how you would do so. Try and figure out how to improve your grades, try and think on the lines of what you could do better in terms of work ethic and/or why you ended up with those grades to begin with. It's definitely manageable but you would need a particularly strong work ethic because the load of work can be very taxing.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, and i'm pretty sure more well informed answers will come along or already have. I'm just putting the information i have out there in hopes it could be a worthwhile contribution.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nanachan123
i heard the as grades gets carried forward to a2? does it no longer exist? I study outside uk so im confused?? Ps I am doing cie.

No that was with the old spec but now AS dont count. So you sit your AS and A2 in one year (year 13). Some schools didnt even sit AS- these are 'mocks'. you still declare them on UCAS but they dont count towards your entry in the university

Quick Reply

Latest