The Student Room Group

Course or university?

I didn't make the grades to study History at York but they have offered me a place on their sociology or philosophy course. I love York when I visited and had my heart set on it. However I got accepted into my insurance which was Royal Holloway for History and now I really don't know what to do. Any advice??

Also what would be better for future employment??
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ev12345
I didn't make the grades to study History at York but they have offered me a place on their sociology or philosophy course. I love York when I visited and had my heart set on it. However I got accepted into my insurance which was Royal Holloway for History and now I really don't know what to do. Any advice??

I'd say the course you study is more important if you love history that is.
Original post by ev12345

Subject is more important than location.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ev12345

Hey!

I understand your situation, and how annoying it might be. However, as some other users have answered, I think that subject is much more important than location. Basically because the location doesn't matter at all. Its the people who make it, and I am sure you will meet loads of nice people in Royal Halloway.

Hope this helps you set your heart! :smile:
Silvia, Translation and Interpreting, 3rd year
Reply 4
Original post by ev12345

Is History really your thing? Or are you looking for more or less any degree where your essay skills will be of most use?

Royal Holloway is in a very different location - essentially it's next door to Heathrow Airport! - to York which is a historic town. You will be spending at least 3 years of your life there.

Unless you're planning to be a history teacher, neither course has employment advantages over the other.

Can you get to look round both again over the weekend?
Original post by ev12345

Also what would be better for future employment??

Hi Ev12345,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a little unsure of things at the moment. If you have any questions about student life and studying at Royal Holloway I'd be happy to answer any questions or chat to you about this!

:smile: Summer
Both are important - if you're studying a course you don't like, or aren't interested in, then you'll probably do much worse than you would otherwise due to lack of motivation. Equally if you're living and studying somewhere that you hate and/or don't feel safe, you'll probably also do worse due to being preoccupied with these factors. (just don't make the mistake of studying something you have no interest in, living somewhere you hate - like me! T_T )

In terms of future employment they'd be all more or less equal. Unless one of those employment options was "a PhD in History" in which case History obviously would be the better option, and very likely required if not just better for preparation. They're all "generalist" courses which can prepare for any number of roles after graduation, and none is better than the other at that - some just might be better for you personally to develop in.
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi Ev12345,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a little unsure of things at the moment. If you have any questions about student life and studying at Royal Holloway I'd be happy to answer any questions or chat to you about this!

How close do you feel you are to Heathrow?
Original post by ageshallnot
How close do you feel you are to Heathrow?

I've always found Heathrow to be a pretty good distance away. It's convenient if you wanted to go travelling or to get a coach back home for the holidays, and accessible directly by bus and taxi. It can also be handy if you're in London and you miss the last train back, because you can get the tube over to Heathrow and a taxi back to Egham for way cheaper than a taxi all the way from London. In terms of the noise, the only time I really notice anything is when filming something outdoors and you have to stop every now and then for a plane to pass. When living in halls, I lived with a few guys who had an app to tell you where each plane was going, so we used to sit on the green outside Reid and watch them go over.

Quick Reply

Latest