The Student Room Group

Foundation year and UCAS

Hello,

I plan on doing an international foundation year (medicine) with gulf medical university/university of london foundation course in the UAE. This course will allow me to apply to medical universities in the UK once I have completed it.

However, my question is that if I start the course in september, and the course will be 9 months long, that means I will have finished the course by June. So would that also mean that I will have to apply to UK medical unis by october, and then the unis will start in october of NEXT year? (2025) Or can I apply in the first half of 2024 and join the universities in the second half of 2024?
Original post by po111
Hello,

I plan on doing an international foundation year (medicine) with gulf medical university/university of london foundation course in the UAE. This course will allow me to apply to medical universities in the UK once I have completed it.

However, my question is that if I start the course in september, and the course will be 9 months long, that means I will have finished the course by June. So would that also mean that I will have to apply to UK medical unis by october, and then the unis will start in october of NEXT year? (2025) Or can I apply in the first half of 2024 and join the universities in the second half of 2024?

Hi!

If I understand your situation correctly, if you are starting your course this September (2023), you can apply to university at any time up until mid October 2024 (when applications close) and then start at the university of your choice in the second half of 2024. While I am not familiar with your specific course you don't usually have to wait until the end of your course to apply to university. I would suggest taking a look at the UCAS website and asking the university you are doing your course with for more information about application timelines. :smile:

I hope that has helped,
- Florence (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
(I've moved your thread to the medicine section where you may get more advice about the relevant dates.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending