The Student Room Group

Do universities care if you do GCSES over a few years? (let me explain...)

Hello,
I am going to be taking an IGCSE in June 2018, earlier than other people. I am doing my IGCSE'S over about 2-4 years as I am ahead in some classes. Somebody told me that universities (PARTICULARLY OXBRIDGE) don't like it if your GCSE'S are spread out over a few years, and I was wondering if they were right.
What are your thoughts/experiences?
Thank-you for taking the time to read my post.
LP
They don't like it as it doesn't represent one's ability to deal with many subjects and the workload all at once. Hence, a lot of early entry is discouraged (especially for new spec). However, this considered some people (including myself) sat some early. I would advise sitting some early but only one year earlier (as workload wouldn't be too shared by the years). Hope this helps.
Original post by LadyPenelope
Hello,
I am going to be taking an IGCSE in June 2018, earlier than other people. I am doing my IGCSE'S over about 2-4 years as I am ahead in some classes. Somebody told me that universities (PARTICULARLY OXBRIDGE) don't like it if your GCSE'S are spread out over a few years, and I was wondering if they were right.
What are your thoughts/experiences?
Thank-you for taking the time to read my post.
LP

IGCE !! I believe your a mature student?
Original post by thekidwhogames
They don't like it as it doesn't represent one's ability to deal with many subjects and the workload all at once. Hence, a lot of early entry is discouraged (especially for new spec). However, this considered some people (including myself) sat some early. I would advise sitting some early but only one year earlier (as workload wouldn't be too shared by the years). Hope this helps.

Thank-you for your reply. Well this is a little annoying, but I understand why they wouldn't like it now. Time to re-think doing that exam in June!
LP
Original post by rich_gentalmanz
IGCE !! I believe your a mature student?

Nope, just good old hard work and the fact that I enjoy (most of) the subjects I'm taking for IGCSE!

Quick Reply

Latest