The Student Room Group

A levels

Can someone kindly explain to me the process to get into a good Uni after GCSE...? How does it work? Lets sayI finished my GCSE with good grades and now I am doing A levels in BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY... now what should I start doing work experience or should I already have started as soon as possible after my GCSE so like in the summer? When will I be applying to med school in Year 13? Should I start to apply for work experience already so that I can do some in Summer after GCSE and more when in Year 12? Plz let me know. Thanks
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Can someone kindly explain to me the process to get into a good Uni after GCSE...? How does it work? Lets sayI finished my GCSE with good grades and now I am doing A levels in BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY... now what should I start doing work experience or should I already have started as soon as possible after my GCSE so like in the summer? When will I be applying to med school in Year 13? Should I start to apply for work experience already so that I can do some in Summer after GCSE and more when in Year 12? Plz let me know. Thanks

Hey,
First of all, it is great that you are thinking about this early as you are able to get a head start on everything.
For medicine they like to see you have some volunteering experience and some work experience, so I would recommend trying to sort out at least one of these while you have some time in the summer.
You will apply on UCAS by October of year 12, so ideally you want to get your experience in before then so you can talk about it in your personal statement, at interviews and you can be more sure that medicine is the route you want to go down.
In year 12 you also want to be looking at Universities so you can decide where you want to apply to - different medical schools have different entry exams (UCAT and BMAT) so it is good to know which ones you want to apply to so you can see which exams you need to do. The UCAT and BMAT will be sat around the end of year 12, so you will also need to do some preparation for those towards the end of the year.
Right now, I would focus on getting some volunteering or work experience in healthcare/care/hospitals etc. Whenever you have some spare time you can have a look at some of the forums on here that can help you compare different medical schools and help explain the application process a bit better.
Please let me know if you need any help, and I will do my best to reply on here when I can! Good luck with it all, and I know it is a lot of information and can seem overwhelming but you do have plenty of time!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Hi there,

Current Cardiff uni student here! I totally feel you and was equally confused about how everything worked after GCSEs. I'll try my best to explain!

Firstly, take your time. It's so great that you know that you want to go to med school and this is a great range of A levels to do this! Work experience is helpful, though not always easy to find so it's not essential. It's definitely worth reaching out to your college. They may be able to help you get work experience, join a professional program or get extra certificates of qualifications that they may offer to help you with your application.

I'm not an expert on the process of getting into med school, however, here you can read about Cardiff University's med school and what they offer. In addition, The Medic Portal page may be useful for information and advice for applying to med school. I hope this helps!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Lots of useful information about the process of applying to medical school over in the Medicine forum.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
First of all, it is great that you are thinking about this early as you are able to get a head start on everything.
For medicine they like to see you have some volunteering experience and some work experience, so I would recommend trying to sort out at least one of these while you have some time in the summer.
You will apply on UCAS by October of year 12, so ideally you want to get your experience in before then so you can talk about it in your personal statement, at interviews and you can be more sure that medicine is the route you want to go down.
In year 12 you also want to be looking at Universities so you can decide where you want to apply to - different medical schools have different entry exams (UCAT and BMAT) so it is good to know which ones you want to apply to so you can see which exams you need to do. The UCAT and BMAT will be sat around the end of year 12, so you will also need to do some preparation for those towards the end of the year.
Right now, I would focus on getting some volunteering or work experience in healthcare/care/hospitals etc. Whenever you have some spare time you can have a look at some of the forums on here that can help you compare different medical schools and help explain the application process a bit better.
Please let me know if you need any help, and I will do my best to reply on here when I can! Good luck with it all, and I know it is a lot of information and can seem overwhelming but you do have plenty of time!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Thanks a lot for replying i just forgot to mention that I am RE-SITTING my GCSE is what you answered still the same then?

Quick Reply

Latest