The Student Room Group

Why is the school system so bad?

My dream ever since I was 7 was to become an app developer. I was over thrilled when I moved up to secondary school and we got to do computer science. Here I am now in year 9 and I’ve just found out they aren’t letting MY YEAR SPECIFICALLY pick GCSE computer science. And I know all the comments are gonna be flooded with “You dont need a computer science GCSE to study it at higher education” I dont care. We will still learn crucial information in GCSEs that will help me work towards my goal. I don’t want to be left behind. Why should I suffer because the school can’t get their priorities straight? They still care about uniforms or a shirt not being tucked in rather than our actual futures. Tell me why I saw a girl crying because she was stressed about her exams and the principal gave her detention because she didn’t have her blazer on? He didnt even try console her. Don’t even get me started on PE. I have to go outside in -2 degrees in a tshirt and shorts. Is this education worth sacrificing our mental health? Why am I still being forced to do 1 hour of PE in GCSE when that 1 hour could go to useful computer science lessons?
Reply 1
Original post by teejayhi55
My dream ever since I was 7 was to become an app developer. I was over thrilled when I moved up to secondary school and we got to do computer science. Here I am now in year 9 and I’ve just found out they aren’t letting MY YEAR SPECIFICALLY pick GCSE computer science. And I know all the comments are gonna be flooded with “You dont need a computer science GCSE to study it at higher education” I dont care. We will still learn crucial information in GCSEs that will help me work towards my goal. I don’t want to be left behind. Why should I suffer because the school can’t get their priorities straight? They still care about uniforms or a shirt not being tucked in rather than our actual futures. Tell me why I saw a girl crying because she was stressed about her exams and the principal gave her detention because she didn’t have her blazer on? He didnt even try console her. Don’t even get me started on PE. I have to go outside in -2 degrees in a tshirt and shorts. Is this education worth sacrificing our mental health? Why am I still being forced to do 1 hour of PE in GCSE when that 1 hour could go to useful computer science lessons?

Why are they not letting you all take computer science? If there’s a good amount of you interested you should email to get them to reconsider. Or if you’re REALLY keen on taking it, move school, although I know that’s not ideal. As you’ve said you won’t need it, but I understand that you’d prefer to study something relevant to your future career and interests.

And I never liked PE either 😂 but I think they have to make you do it for health and well-being.

And you’re totally right, the uniform rules can be ridiculous at times.
Reply 2
Original post by study23!
Why are they not letting you all take computer science? If there’s a good amount of you interested you should email to get them to reconsider. Or if you’re REALLY keen on taking it, move school, although I know that’s not ideal. As you’ve said you won’t need it, but I understand that you’d prefer to study something relevant to your future career and interests.

And I never liked PE either 😂 but I think they have to make you do it for health and well-being.

And you’re totally right, the uniform rules can be ridiculous at times.

Long story short, they dont care. I have already spoke my concern and they said that they cant do anything as the school feels that subjects such as sociology and psychology are more important? It still baffles me as the modern day is built off of AND relies on computers. I mean I get that therapy or whatever is good for people but whats the point if it just makes other people suffer. I thought the whole point was to cure peoples mental health, not ruin it.

Also I have heard that statement about PE before but it just confuses me as what good is standing outside in a tshirt and shorts (practically naked) in minus degree weather and in storms? Thats going to make me unhealthy. Thats going to make me catch a serious illness.
Reply 3
Long story short, they dont care. I have already spoke my concern and they said that they cant do anything as the school feels that subjects such as sociology and psychology are more important? It still baffles me as the modern day is built off of AND relies on computers. I mean I get that therapy or whatever is good for people but whats the point if it just makes other people suffer. I thought the whole point was to cure peoples mental health, not ruin it.

Also I have heard that statement about PE before but it just confuses me as what good is standing outside in a tshirt and shorts (practically naked) in minus degree weather and in storms? Thats going to make me unhealthy. Thats going to make me catch a serious illness.

Yeah forcing you to go outside in the cold is just ridiculous.

If your school has a sixth form do they let you take computing a level without the gcse? I’d email any colleges you’re interested in to check (that is if you’re planning to go to college). As much as the situation sucks it would be awful to find out you can’t do it at a level further down the line, so you might as well try and find out now to see if it’s possible or if there are alternatives.

Psychology and sociology seem a bit odd to me, not because of the subjects themselves but you can take the a level without the gcse. Im not 100 sure if that’s the same for computing.
Reply 4
Original post by study23!

Yeah forcing you to go outside in the cold is just ridiculous.

If your school has a sixth form do they let you take computing a level without the gcse? I’d email any colleges you’re interested in to check (that is if you’re planning to go to college). As much as the situation sucks it would be awful to find out you can’t do it at a level further down the line, so you might as well try and find out now to see if it’s possible or if there are alternatives.

Psychology and sociology seem a bit odd to me, not because of the subjects themselves but you can take the a level without the gcse. Im not 100 sure if that’s the same for computing.

There is a careers fair tommorow when many colleges and university’s will visit with stall things. I can ask them

Quick Reply

Latest