The Student Room Group

GCSE

so I'm going into year 10 and I wanted to know what I should do to prepare for gcse's. I'm doing History, Spanish, Drama and RE. As well as, double science, maths and English 😊
Reply 1
Just make sure to make notes as you go along and you keep recapping and always try your best for mini exams and by the time exams you come you should feel prepared. You can't really prepare much before you start GCSEs,I reccommend to relax but if you really feel obliged to do any amount of work you should practise basic math skills like alegbra and trigonometry and also a bit of english like language features e.g metaphors
Reply 2
It's good that you want to get ahead in GCSEs- I only revised during study leave. You should find out the exam boards you're doing and buy study guides for each subject. You should read the study guides (obvs) so you have a vague idea of what your courses are like. For science and maths, there's this YouTuber called primrose kitten who is good at explaining whole units in 40ish minutes. By the time you're doing your mocks (dec/jan in year 11) you should have written all the notes for every unit of every subject. Don't skive school!!! Past papers are good to do- but looking at mark schemes can help you because some exam boards prefer it if you word something a particular way. Examiners reports tell you what most students got that year. Remember to have fun and time to de stress!! Sorry if this was long lol
Reply 3
Remember to try your best and don't compare yourself to others
Reply 4
I am disappointed with my gcse results.I got 4 A* 4 A 3 B Are these good enough to get into UCL/LSE/Warwick/Nottingham for a course such as Economics ?
As someone who has just finished Year 10, here's my advice:

1) Pay attention and don't talk in lessons. In Maths, I had no one to talk to so I just did all the work. Every lesson I had completed the extension tasks and I felt as if it was a race. I didn't talk to people nearby but I still aimed to finish first. This is good but only rush it if you know what you're doing. Otherwise you are bound to make mistakes. I make mistakes sometimes and they usually come down to me not writing clear enough.

2) Start revising early for big subjects. You can define any subject as big but Maths and languages are definitely the biggest. Thankfully, these also happen to be pretty easy to revise (I'll come to that).

3) Try to adopt a positive and competitive attitude towards learning. I'm awful at French, in fact I was the worst in the class at it. But then, I began revising a little everyday and working very hard in class and I ended up seeing my grades rise.

For Maths, I definitely recommend Mathsbuster. It's a computer program which costs about £5, made by CGP which is one of the biggest textbook companies. It comes in a higher and foundation option, and comes in every exam board. I improved my grade from a 5 to a 7 with it over a month or two by doing the tests on there. They have 12 online tests which, overall, give you an average percentage mark which was surprisingly accurate (my average was 62% and I got 63% in a test out of 160). If you do these tests, you can see where you went wrong, revise them, then retake the test. If you do this to one test a day and keep on doing it to your lowest one, you will see your average mark rise rapidly. This has worked extremely well for me as I raised my average mark from 65% to 80% over a week or two. After reaching 80% it will increase slower but thats because there isn't as much you can improve on.

For languages, use a language-learning app like Memrise or Dulingo to learn the words and then buy a Spanish grammar workbook associated with your exam board. Just do a little bit each day and soon you'll be a pro (I do French and the Memrise Edexcel French course is 3870 words which is gonna take ages, so start early).
Reply 6
thank you to all of you guys x

Quick Reply

Latest