The Student Room Group

Cambridge econ gcse requirements

Hello,

I watched the open day video of cambridge uni regarding the economics course and in the video it said that the typical candidate has atleast 6A* in GCSE.
Now, I have got 5A* 2A and a B and a C. But, if they only take my top 8 GCSEs into account, the C won't be included i guess.

Now, the school in which I did my gcses is an underperforming school and more than 20% of the students there are eligible for free school meals. So, could say that my school was horrible and in that context my grades are not bad.

If I achieve like A* and A for my A levels in Maths, further maths, physics and economics, would it be worth applying for cambridge or should I not coz of that 1 less A* in my GCSE.

Also, other option could be to retake any of my GCSE or add on a gcse such as gcse further maths which I would be able to achive an A* or retake gcse combined science (I achieved 8-7). So if by retaking I can achieve 8-8 or more would it be worth doing GCSEs again or not?

Any advice/guidance is really appreciated.
Cambridge has no formal GCSE requirements and considers GCSEs holistically and in context. There is no "top X GCSEs" or any cutoffs. The Cambridge ATs who are/were active on TSR have also all indicated at one time or another that they haven't previously rejected an applicant for any course solely on the basis of GCSEs.

If you meet or exceed the standard A-level offer and are taking FM and maths it's perfectly reasonable to apply if you're interested in the course.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge has no formal GCSE requirements and considers GCSEs holistically and in context. There is no "top X GCSEs" or any cutoffs. The Cambridge ATs who are/were active on TSR have also all indicated at one time or another that they haven't previously rejected an applicant for any course solely on the basis of GCSEs.

If you meet or exceed the standard A-level offer and are taking FM and maths it's perfectly reasonable to apply if you're interested in the course.

Thanks for the response.

I will apply there for sure and I'm just wondering would retaking any GCSEs worth it as I said above. Ik they dont reject solely on the basis of gcses but what if I can get like 1 or 2 more A*.

Would they consider those grades since I have retaken my gcses thats the main question. And should I do this just to make my application as competitive as I humanly can?
Original post by Shubham9548
Thanks for the response.

I will apply there for sure and I'm just wondering would retaking any GCSEs worth it as I said above. Ik they dont reject solely on the basis of gcses but what if I can get like 1 or 2 more A*.

Would they consider those grades since I have retaken my gcses thats the main question. And should I do this just to make my application as competitive as I humanly can?

Doubt it would make a difference. Probably not worth the effort compared to just making sure you get excellent results in your A-levels and doing wider reading etc.
Reply 4
Hello,

I watched the open day video of cambridge uni regarding the economics course and in the video it said that the typical candidate has atleast 6A* in GCSE.
Now, I have got 5A* 2A and a B and a C. But, if they only take my top 8 GCSEs into account, the C won't be included i guess.

Now, the school in which I did my gcses is an underperforming school and more than 20% of the students there are eligible for free school meals. So, could say that my school was horrible and in that context my grades are not bad.

If I achieve like A* and A for my A levels in Maths, further maths, physics and economics, would it be worth applying for cambridge or should I not coz of that 1 less A* in my GCSE.

Also, other option could be to retake any of my GCSE or add on a gcse such as gcse further maths which I would be able to achive an A* or retake gcse combined science (I achieved 8-7). So if by retaking I can achieve 8-8 or more would it be worth doing GCSEs again or not?

Any advice/guidance is really appreciated.

They will consider your GCSEs in context - you don't need to comment or retake. Are you at the same school now?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
They will consider your GCSEs in context - you don't need to comment or retake. Are you at the same school now?

Nope, my school was only till year 11 but I did my gcses in that school and Im pretty sure ppl came out with terrible results
Reply 6
Nope, my school was only till year 11 but I did my gcses in that school and Im pretty sure ppl came out with terrible results

OK but you will put that school name as well as your current one on UCAS.

You can check your school results here: https://www.find-school-performance-data.service.gov.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending