The Student Room Group

mechanics

A ball is thrown upwards from a point A, with initial speed of 21 m/s, and is later caught again at A. Find the length of time for which the ball was in the air.
s= /
u= 21 m/s
v= 0 ? is this correct
a= 9.8 - do you double this as it travels up and back down.
t= ? to find

I presume you use a = (v-u)/t but I'm not too sure.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eleanorTSR
A ball is thrown upwards from a point A, with initial speed of 21 m/s, and is later caught again at A. Find the length of time for which the ball was in the air.
s= /
u= 21 m/s
v= 0 ? is this correct
a= 9.8 - do you double this as it travels up and back down.
t= ? to find

I presume you use a = (v-u)/t but I'm not too sure.

If drag is ignored and the ball is falling freely under gravity, you can use a suvat equation.
Choose a positive direction, let's say upwards.

S=0 because it is caught at A so the displacement is 0.

U= 21 m/s

V=?

a= -9.8 m/s^2 because a acts downwards.

So find an equation which relates them. You can't say that v= 0.
Reply 2
Original post by NotNotBatman
If drag is ignored and the ball is falling freely under gravity, you can use a suvat equation.
Choose a positive direction, let's say upwards.

S=0 because it is caught at A so the displacement is 0.

U= 21 m/s

V=?

a= -9.8 m/s^2 because a acts downwards.

So find an equation which relates them. You can't say that v= 0.

Thank you very much.
i'm also stuck on another one if you don't mind helping.
Ball kicked vertically upwards with a speed of 14 m/s. Find the height above ground level of the highest point reached and the total time for which the ball is in the air.

s= ?
u= 14 m/s
v= 0 - not sure?
a= -9.8
t=?
using v^2 = u^2 + 2as I found that s = 10m

I'm not sure how to find the total time that the ball is in the air. I tried using a = (v-u)/t but it did not give me the correct answer using the above values.
Thank you very much.
Ball kicked vertically upwards with a speed of 14 m/s. Find the height above ground level of the highest point reached and the total time for which the ball is in the air.

s= ?
u= 14 m/s
v= 0 - not sure?
a= -9.8
t=?

I'm not sure how to find the total time that the ball is in the air. I tried using a = (v-u)/t but it did not give me the correct answer using the above values.

Try another equation ...

You need to be clear about a couple of things:
* when it returns to the same point it started s= 0 [effectively it has gone nowhere!]
* at the highest point v = 0 as it has stopped going upwards.
Thank you very much.

s= ?
u= 14 m/s
v= 0 - not sure?
a= -9.8
t=?

Remember displacement is not the same as distance. S stands for displacement, so you should be able to tell what s is from the info given.

Quick Reply

Latest