The Student Room Group

Notting Hill Carnival Acid Attack

A suspected acid attack injured 5 people on Sunday. Police are investigating.

The Metropolitan Police said a “mild acidic liquid” was thrown over a number of people

Three people were hurt by the unknown liquid and two others trampled as panicked crowds fled after fears of an “acid attack” at Notting Hill Carnival.

Police said three people were treated for skin irritation after being targeted with the unknown liquid at just before 8pm on Sunday the first day of the west London festival.

The Met said there was 122 arrests on Sunday, a fall of about 20 per cent on last year.

Have you been to carnival? Do you want to go next year?! Do the acid attacks make you nervous about going to events? Let me know!
#Part&Parcel
Original post by summer1311
The Metropolitan Police said a “mild acidic liquid” was thrown over a number of people

Mild acidic liquid? Guessing that could include a can of coke?
The punishment for an attack using acid should be disproportionately increased until the muppets who carry out these cowardly attacks get the message or end up behind bars.
Reply 4
sometimes I feel so ashamed of being a Londoner
Reply 5
Original post by Mathemagicien
And the other times you are totally baked, eh?

What do you mean by baked?
Reply 6
If someone wants to kill/injure people, they'll just go to another method. There are plenty of ways to kill or injure people, acid is just one of the easiest.

Instead, I think the Tory strategy should be expanded - cut down on education so that citizens don't learn about acid; arrest citizens who make acid-related searches online; and search everyone for acid at every large event.

Acid is not a single compound - there are many acids. These acids range in danger from weak acids such as citric acid - which coats sour sweets, to hydrochloric acid - which is found in the human stomach but in high concentrations can burn skin slowly. Being sick on somebody could technically be considered an acid attack. Cutting down on education is never the answer - more education is the answer. A knowledge of acids is vital for people wishing to pursue a degree or career in anything chemistry or biology related. Next it will be alkalis that become a problem if we ban acids and then it will be water - hot water can cause much damage to. Banning things and censoring knowledge is never helpful.
Reply 7
AKA stoned.

Not the same as the baking one does in the kitchen, nor the stoning one enjoys in the desert.

oh I see, well I don't think I've ever been stoned
Reply 8
You sound suspiciously like a chemist.

Well, just ban substances which might cause people to be sick.

And those careers are putting our national security at risk. Every day, we risk a chemical or biological based terror attack that could cause unparalleled death and injury if employed in a large city like London.

Then ban them too, duh.

Hot water is hard to keep hot while travelling... far less dangerous.

Merry Trollmass! Next-time try to make your trolling a little more subtle.
Original post by RivalPlayer
This is what happens when you unthinkingly import people from the most violent parts of the world in the name of diversity.
The only people who will be surprised at this latest acid attack are those who still believe in a vibrant multicultural utopia.

Bringing in people from other countries actually lowers the high European level of crime. Like if you add 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 and divide it by 4 to get the average, you get 5. However do 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 and divide that by 9 to get tge average, you get 4.44. In this scenario, and in real life, Immigrants are the 4's, and locals are the 5's. Thats just the average though, because some locals can be very peacful, and some immigrants can be very aggressive.
Only if immigrants have lower crime rates than Europeans - but they don't.

Some immigrant groups do - such as east Asian groups - but these aren't the countries the international community is pushing Europe to take in.

For example, here are the crime stats for Germany, by nationality (it excludes crimes against foreigners' law, i.e. crimes for crossing the border illegally):

You can't use Germany as an example. Germany has a lot of REFUGEES which are vulnerable people in very vulnerable people in extreme circumstance. IMMIGRANTS are a completely different story however, whom have come for education, career, health ect...

Westerners would commit higher levels of crime in a country they seeked asylum in and that not okay, just like with the refugees in Germany, but its understandable.
Original post by HabibSyed
You can't use Germany as an example. Germany has a lot of REFUGEES which are vulnerable people in very vulnerable people in extreme circumstance. IMMIGRANTS are a completely different story however, whom have come for education, career, health ect...

Westerners would commit higher levels of crime in a country they seeked asylum in and that not okay, just like with the refugees in Germany, but its understandable.

1. Being a refugee doesn't excuse committing crime.
2. Germany doesn't have a lot of refugees, they have a lot of migrants that people mistakenly call refugees

Three people were hurt by the unknown liquid and two others trampled as panicked crowds fled after fears of an “acid attack” at Notting Hill Carnival.

Police said three people were treated for skin irritation after being targeted with the unknown liquid at just before 8pm on Sunday the first day of the west London festival.

The Met said there was 122 arrests on Sunday, a fall of about 20 per cent on last year.

Have you been to carnival? Do you want to go next year?! Do the acid attacks make you nervous about going to events? Let me know!

Yes I went to carnival and there were some people acting stupid by shouting "acid" whenever someone spilled a drink. Honestly, no I'm not nervous about going to carnival and I would go next year because it's an important celebration, and the vast majority of people have good intentions.
This is getting worse and worse. Has their been any headway in the UK of passing stricter laws and stricter penalties for possession all the way up to those who actually throw acid at people?

Reply 14
Never get any of this nonsense at the local country show I go to every year. What is it with you Londoners and your inability to behave like civilised human beings at large gatherings? Every single year...
The carnival had significantly lower crime this year just to add. Any update on the acid attack? A lot of articles seem to be unsure of what happened and if it was even acid.
Just part and parcel, right liberals? Nothing to see here, right liberals?
Original post by Wōden
Never get any of this nonsense at the local country show I go to every year. What is it with you Londoners and your inability to behave like civilised human beings at large gatherings? Every single year...

You are also referring to festivals such as reading and Glastonbury too right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending