The Student Room Group

RCA Offer Holders 2023

Hey!

I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread where we can each share tips, advice, experiences and any other stuff all in one place, plus ask any questions we may have on the enrolment process, scholarships, and accommodation/living in London in case it gets lost in the other threads.

I'm a Londoner myself so may be able to offer tips about moving to the area and other stuff like that.
Fair point. I’ve got accepted in the digital direction program. Also got acceptance at Goldsmiths so not yet sure where I would like to go finally. Any suggestions on accommodation options for couples?
Reply 2
Original post by jayforcinema
Fair point. I’ve got accepted in the digital direction program. Also got acceptance at Goldsmiths so not yet sure where I would like to go finally. Any suggestions on accommodation options for couples?

I checked and it looks like you'll be at the White City campus, so as well as White City itself, I'd suggest looking around Shepherd's Bush, Acton, Hammersmith, and Kensal Green in the first instance. I live a bit north of there in Kensal Rise, which wouldn't be a bad choice as it's a nice area and not too far from White City, but it's pretty suburban/family-orientated, which might not be what you're after! It really depends on budget and luck of course (Holland Park and Notting Hill are really close and would be amazing!), but I'd look at the areas I mentioned above first.

As for Goldsmiths, I only know people from the MFA programme so it's probably a very different vibe, but they are not happy whatsoever (as in, looking at transferring, and someone else already quit). It could be like night and day between that and your programme though!
Thanks a bunch!

Original post by nemain
I checked and it looks like you'll be at the White City campus, so as well as White City itself, I'd suggest looking around Shepherd's Bush, Acton, Hammersmith, and Kensal Green in the first instance. I live a bit north of there in Kensal Rise, which wouldn't be a bad choice as it's a nice area and not too far from White City, but it's pretty suburban/family-orientated, which might not be what you're after! It really depends on budget and luck of course (Holland Park and Notting Hill are really close and would be amazing!), but I'd look at the areas I mentioned above first.

As for Goldsmiths, I only know people from the MFA programme so it's probably a very different vibe, but they are not happy whatsoever (as in, looking at transferring, and someone else already quit). It could be like night and day between that and your programme though!
Hello! I've been accepted to Design Products MA, and I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Any information would be helpful!

1. As an international student, would it be too late to find accommodations near RCA Battersea if I arrive around 3 weeks before the term starts? I've heard that agents suck, so should I go straight to landlords through platforms like OpenRent or SpareRoom?

2. I'm pretty interested in working in London in the future, and I'm considering finding an internship or job. When do students usually start applying for internships or jobs? Also, does the RCA provide internship assistance or opportunities?

Thank you very much!
Reply 5
Original post by Hantus Chen
Hello! I've been accepted to Design Products MA, and I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Any information would be helpful!

1. As an international student, would it be too late to find accommodations near RCA Battersea if I arrive around 3 weeks before the term starts? I've heard that agents suck, so should I go straight to landlords through platforms like OpenRent or SpareRoom?

2. I'm pretty interested in working in London in the future, and I'm considering finding an internship or job. When do students usually start applying for internships or jobs? Also, does the RCA provide internship assistance or opportunities?

Thank you very much!

I've never moved to another country as a student before, but I have moved to several different countries at various points as a non-student. I never had a place lined up already and each time would start off staying in a hostel while looking for somewhere and always managed to find something fairly quickly. However, London can be a bit trickier than some cities due to the demand for affordable places outweighing the availabilty, so I would probably check in with RCA Student Support to get the most up-to-date advice on this. This page may also be helpful: https://www.rca.ac.uk/study/the-rca-experience/accommodation-in-london/

I found my last two flats via SpareRoom and love/d them, but I've heard an increasing amount of reports about scammers using these sites to advertise properties they don't actually have and taking big deposits from people before disappearing. One report on the radio a couple of days ago was about a student houseshare too (they paid without seeing the property as they weren't in the city, I think), so this is definitely something to be aware of. Don't put money down on anything without actually seeing the place first, basically! Sounds obvious, but with the shortage of places I can understand why some people might risk it.

I'm afraid I know nothing about internships and haven't ever actively looked for jobs as a student or thought about doing so afterwards, but I'm pretty sure we'll find out more about this stuff over the course of our studies (or one would hope anyway!).
Original post by nemain
I've never moved to another country as a student before, but I have moved to several different countries at various points as a non-student. I never had a place lined up already and each time would start off staying in a hostel while looking for somewhere and always managed to find something fairly quickly. However, London can be a bit trickier than some cities due to the demand for affordable places outweighing the availabilty, so I would probably check in with RCA Student Support to get the most up-to-date advice on this. This page may also be helpful: https://www.rca.ac.uk/study/the-rca-experience/accommodation-in-london/

I found my last two flats via SpareRoom and love/d them, but I've heard an increasing amount of reports about scammers using these sites to advertise properties they don't actually have and taking big deposits from people before disappearing. One report on the radio a couple of days ago was about a student houseshare too (they paid without seeing the property as they weren't in the city, I think), so this is definitely something to be aware of. Don't put money down on anything without actually seeing the place first, basically! Sounds obvious, but with the shortage of places I can understand why some people might risk it.

I'm afraid I know nothing about internships and haven't ever actively looked for jobs as a student or thought about doing so afterwards, but I'm pretty sure we'll find out more about this stuff over the course of our studies (or one would hope anyway!).

Thank you very much! The information is really helpful! I also heard scammers asking people for money before viewing the properties and much bad news about renting in London.

Also, do you think 800 pounds is enough for a small studio? I am ok with small rooms(even tiny ones like jail), but just want an en-suite at least with a bathroom in it. I saw some studios on Zoopla at around 600-700 pounds, but those look too good to be real and they feel like scams or fake posts by agents.
Hey guys! Just wondering if there is a WhatsApp ir facebook group or something which consists of all 23/24 offer holders of RCA? Anyone got any idea about any such thing?

Also I got into the White City Campus and I was wondering if there is any fellow student here who is interested in looking for apartments together? I found a few apartments but they are whole flats and houses and I need to have people/roommates with me before I can rent it.
Hi Hantus :smile:

London places seem more on the expensive side. I think best case scenario is 4-5 people picking up a house together. You'll save some costs that way. @Nemain - Thanks for the house suggestions bro! At the moment most people seem to be looking for May-June rentals. I think house hunting in earnest can begin in June at the earliest.
@Advaititit - Let's start one. Have sent you a DM
Reply 9
Hey guys,
I got into MA Design Products, I guess it will be at the Battersea Campus.
Any idea about the housing situation around there, also any information regarding part-time jobs for RCA students or students in general would be appreciated.
Original post by Kpkp2000
Hey guys,
I got into MA Design Products, I guess it will be at the Battersea Campus.
Any idea about the housing situation around there, also any information regarding part-time jobs for RCA students or students in general would be appreciated.

Hi :smile:
you can look at job openings late July or early August, lots of websites out there with a filter for ‘part time’ (such as jobs . ac .uk). Just remember that you’re not allowed to freelance in this time, and look at different work restrictions. I’ll be going to the White City campus, and to find a place I’m looking at the most budget friendly places along the metro line. Where are you from? Send me a dm and we can connect :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by nemain
Hey!

I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread where we can each share tips, advice, experiences and any other stuff all in one place, plus ask any questions we may have on the enrolment process, scholarships, and accommodation/living in London in case it gets lost in the other threads.

I'm a Londoner myself so may be able to offer tips about moving to the area and other stuff like that.

Awesome thanks for making the thread!
I’ll be starting the Painting MA in September so helloooo!

When you say we aren’t allowed to Freelance, what does this encompass? For example, are we not allowed to sell any work during the MA?
Any advice would be great!

Thanks and v excited!
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jayforcinema
Hi :smile:
you can look at job openings late July or early August, lots of websites out there with a filter for ‘part time’ (such as jobs . ac .uk). Just remember that you’re not allowed to freelance in this time, and look at different work restrictions. I’ll be going to the White City campus, and to find a place I’m looking at the most budget friendly places along the metro line. Where are you from? Send me a dm and we can connect :smile:

Hey @jayforcinema, not able to dm you. Btw I am from India
Here's a thread that I saw (also on one of the UK Govt sites) that explains Work rules more simply, have a look -

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/blog/6257/a-working-definition

Quick Reply

Latest