Physics A*
Spanish A*
Religious Studies A*
Latin Language A*
Latin literature B
Geography A
English Language A
English Lit B

I'm happy with my results but I wanted 9A*. Anyways, do I have a real chance with these grades to do medicine at Oxbridge. All the nerds are banging 11A* left, right and center. (I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem, and Spanish next year)
I welcome all feedback
kind regards,

X
You got better GCSE results than me (4 A*s, 3As, 3 Bs, 1 Distinction) and I still got an interview at Oxford! Your A Level results and personal statement are way more important. Besides, those grades are amazing! You should be super proud of them!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kung fu Kenny
Wag1 everyone,

Basically, I recently had my GCSE results back and got the following;

Maths A*
Bio A*
Chem A*
Physics A*
Spanish A*
Religious Studies A*
Latin Language A*
Latin literature B
Geography A
English Language A
English Lit B

I'm happy with my results but I wanted 9A*. Anyways, do I have a real chance with these grades to do medicine at Oxbridge. All the nerds are banging 11A* left, right and center. (I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem, and Spanish next year)
I welcome all feedback
kind regards,

X

Well done on your results! Yes I think you do, apparently most people studying at oxbridge have at least 5A*s, (not sure how true that is though, can't remember where I read it). They care more about A-levels though, so make sure you work hard to get top grades in those. In addition to this, make sure you have other things to write about in your application, like extra curricular activities and volunteering etc. to help you to stand out as an applicant. (This is very important as everyone applying for medicine will have high grades, so they need other ways to differentiate between applicants).
Wag1 everyone,

Basically, I recently had my GCSE results back and got the following;

Maths A*
Bio A*
Chem A*
Physics A*
Spanish A*
Religious Studies A*
Latin Language A*
Latin literature B
Geography A
English Language A
English Lit B

I welcome all feedback
kind regards,

X

Totally off topic but was latin 2 separate GCSEs for you?
It's highly contextual, it depends on how good your results were compared to your school's average, and if it was an underachieving/underfunded/inadequate school
Original post by sunburnt.penguin
You got better GCSE results than me (4 A*s, 3As, 3 Bs, 1 Distinction) and I still got an interview at Oxford! Your A Level results and personal statement are way more important. Besides, those grades are amazing! You should be super proud of them!

Thank you, I will bang my A levels and AS so should be all good
Original post by itslibby
Well done on your results! Yes I think you do, apparently most people studying at oxbridge have at least 5A*s, (not sure how true that is though, can't remember where I read it). They care more about A-levels though, so make sure you work hard to get top grades in those. In addition to this, make sure you have other things to write about in your application, like extra curricular activities and volunteering etc. to help you to stand out as an applicant. (This is very important as everyone applying for medicine will have high grades, so they need other ways to differentiate between applicants).

I'm going to try very hard indeed for the upcoming years. Fortunately, I have done lots of work experience/ extra curricular activities over summer so I just need to work hard I guess :smile:

X
I'm going to try very hard indeed for the upcoming years. Fortunately, I have done lots of work experience/ extra curricular activities over summer so I just need to work hard I guess :smile:

X

Ahhh that's good! Good luck🙂
Original post by koala789
Totally off topic but was latin 2 separate GCSEs for you?

Yes, my exam board was WJEC and it was split to lit and lang.

X
Original post by AryanGh
It's highly contextual, it depends on how good your results were compared to your school's average, and if it was an underachieving/underfunded/inadequate school

Well this is the problem, my school and especially my year are extremely academic.
Over 20 people got straight 11A*'s which is roughly 1/5 of my year. And other medical applicants were in that 11A* category hence I am worried.

Guess I'll just have to destroy them in A level years

X

Quick Reply

Latest