The Student Room Group

Cambridge, Warwick, KCL, Bristol and Manchester bad GCSE’s

Hi,
I am planning to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Kings College London, Bristol and Manchester. My GCSEs are the following :
Mathematics- 7
Business- 7
History- 7
English Literature- 7
English Language- 6
Combined Science- 6-5
Btec Sport- Distinction
French- 3
I was wondering if it’s worth applying to these unis for law or a history/politics course as I feel my results may hold me back in comparison to other applicant's due to them being considered “weak”. Would appreciate if anyone could possibly help and give me guidance on which universities may or may not accept me. Specifically Cambridge due to how competitive it is. Also just wanted to link my predicted grades below and I am in Year 12.
Sociology - A*
Politics - A*
History - A
Reply 1
Original post by Idi akz
Hi,
I am planning to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Kings College London, Bristol and Manchester. My GCSEs are the following :
Mathematics- 7
Business- 7
History- 7
English Literature- 7
English Language- 6
Combined Science- 6-5
Btec Sport- Distinction
French- 3
I was wondering if it’s worth applying to these unis for law or a history/politics course as I feel my results may hold me back in comparison to other applicant's due to them being considered “weak”. Would appreciate if anyone could possibly help and give me guidance on which universities may or may not accept me. Specifically Cambridge due to how competitive it is. Also just wanted to link my predicted grades below and I am in Year 12.
Sociology - A*
Politics - A*
History - A

I got an offer from kings but rejected from Cambridge. My GCSEs were 999777754 so not the best. But my secondary was one of the worst in the north east so I had a reason so if you have a reason aswell then your GCSEs won’t be much of a barrier. If you don’t have a reason maybe try do some more research I don’t think it’s a guaranteed no but might be best to find out what you are signing up to👍
Original post by Seth8888
I got an offer from kings but rejected from Cambridge. My GCSEs were 999777754 so not the best. But my secondary was one of the worst in the north east so I had a reason so if you have a reason aswell then your GCSEs won’t be much of a barrier. If you don’t have a reason maybe try do some more research I don’t think it’s a guaranteed no but might be best to find out what you are signing up to👍

dbi. three 9's and 'bad' gcses shush
Reply 3
Original post by Idi akz
Hi,
Mathematics- 7
Business- 7
History- 7
English Literature- 7
English Language- 6
Combined Science- 6-5
Btec Sport- Distinction
French- 3
Sociology - A*
Politics - A*
History - A

I think it also depends on what school you did your GCSE’s at. If you went to a grammar school for example Cambridge would judge the GCSE results as slightly underperforming but if you went to a school where those results were considered above average to the rest of your cohorts grades, then they would be judged differently. I do think if you know Cambridge is the perfect choice for you, then apply, you miss 100% of the chances you don’t take!

I can’t see the other universities but Cambridge having an issue with these grades though, so you should be fine with your other choices. Good luck!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending