The Student Room Group

what can i do this year?

im taking a gap year now and next year i am going to be doing a levels so i can get into uni and do computer science however what can i do now in this gap year that will help me after i graduate from uni, something that will make me stand out from others. can i find some a work experience that will provide me with knowledge and skills required in a computer science course?
Original post by iClevor
im taking a gap year now and next year i am going to be doing a levels so i can get into uni and do computer science however what can i do now in this gap year that will help me after i graduate from uni, something that will make me stand out from others. can i find some a work experience that will provide me with knowledge and skills required in a computer science course?

Work experience would be highly recommended. A full year gives you the opportunity to work on something that can give you a boost up the pile when applying for CS.

If you're going to do work experience, it might be worth talking to a careers adviser. They're pretty useful, and it's more important that you get something relevant to the field you're interested in.

When I was at school, we had compulsory work experience at the end of our 4th year of high school (not sure what the English equivalent of this is - I think it may be GCSE year?). I did mine at a local high school (not my own), working with the IT Department in the school. Gave me the opportunity to gain some industrial experience doing programming, doing networking, computer building, and every-day IT related problem solving. This served me well in my personal statement for my undergraduate Computer Science degree. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending