The Student Room Group

Choosing between a subject that's useful and a subject that you're passionate about?

Hi! Gap year person here. I'm planning on applying next year rather than this year because I need some time away from education.

So, part of why I chose to take a gap year/gap years is because I was never fully sure what I wanted to do at uni and subsequently with my life.

Right now, I'm torn between doing what I'm passionate about- film and/or creative writing- and what's more practical, education and/or English lit.

My dream career would be writing, but I'm well-aware that it's difficult to make a sustainable career out of writing. I'm also really interested in film from a theoretical standpoint and a filmmaking perspective. Again, I'm aware it's a difficult industry.

That said, recently I've become really interested in education. I think part of me has always assumed I'd become a teacher because I used to think I'd be doing English lit at uni (I got an A* in it at A level), and usually people who do English lit have to go into teaching. I'm still considering English lit, but now I'm more interested in primary or early years education, even if most people who know me would think I'm not the type of person you'd expect to teach primary or early years. I don't know if I'll be articulating why I like the idea of teaching that level very well, but I'll try. Recently, I've watched a lot of kids media like Sesame Street and My Little Pony because they're genuinely really good, and at the risk of sounding cringey, I've been really moved by how passionate these creators of children's media are about shaping kids and it's made me realise how cool it would be to make a positive impact on kids like those shows have. Not to mention I find it interesting how they educate kids, if that makes sense.

That said, I'm not sure if this interest in education is another phase for me, like how when I was in year 10 I wanted to do forensics, or how at some point I wanted to be an archaeologist or linguist, or paramedic.

I'm interested in so many things and I would love to do so many things, but it's difficult to decide whether or not I should just have something as a hobby/interest or if I should pursue it as a career.
Original post by mx-person
Hi! Gap year person here. I'm planning on applying next year rather than this year because I need some time away from education.

So, part of why I chose to take a gap year/gap years is because I was never fully sure what I wanted to do at uni and subsequently with my life.

Right now, I'm torn between doing what I'm passionate about- film and/or creative writing- and what's more practical, education and/or English lit.

My dream career would be writing, but I'm well-aware that it's difficult to make a sustainable career out of writing. I'm also really interested in film from a theoretical standpoint and a filmmaking perspective. Again, I'm aware it's a difficult industry.

That said, recently I've become really interested in education. I think part of me has always assumed I'd become a teacher because I used to think I'd be doing English lit at uni (I got an A* in it at A level), and usually people who do English lit have to go into teaching. I'm still considering English lit, but now I'm more interested in primary or early years education, even if most people who know me would think I'm not the type of person you'd expect to teach primary or early years. I don't know if I'll be articulating why I like the idea of teaching that level very well, but I'll try. Recently, I've watched a lot of kids media like Sesame Street and My Little Pony because they're genuinely really good, and at the risk of sounding cringey, I've been really moved by how passionate these creators of children's media are about shaping kids and it's made me realise how cool it would be to make a positive impact on kids like those shows have. Not to mention I find it interesting how they educate kids, if that makes sense.

That said, I'm not sure if this interest in education is another phase for me, like how when I was in year 10 I wanted to do forensics, or how at some point I wanted to be an archaeologist or linguist, or paramedic.

I'm interested in so many things and I would love to do so many things, but it's difficult to decide whether or not I should just have something as a hobby/interest or if I should pursue it as a career.

You're not exactly making things easy. I can also get somewhat philosophical about this.

My working framework to help you decide is:

Which would you regret the least not doing?

Which of the professions/degrees require a specific degee and can you do all of the above with your chosen qualification?

If you chose to go down a particular route, can you later pivot to another career of your choice based on your hypothetical career?

What can you see yourself doing day in day out? What can you absolutely not tolerate in any job?

What's drawing you to look into those careers? Why did you think that?

What do you need from a career other than money?

Can you combine multiple careers in something where you can sufficiently meet all your needs in one? e.g. movies for kids, writing for kids, etc.

What do you think gives your life meaning? What do you want your life to mean by the end of your life?

What would you say you must do/have within your lifetime?

What can't you do as a hobby/interest?

What made you decide not to pursue the careers you thought about pursuing in Year 10? What drew you to those careers in the first place?

What did you wanted to do when you were 5 (the age when you felt you were able to choose to do anything when you grow up with zero reservations, zero shame, and zero limitations)? Why did you wanted to do what you thought you wanted to do?

What are your values?

Have you spoken to anyone who are in these roles and ask for career advice (sounds like a stetch for film and creative writing, but it's actually pretty achieveable)?

Just to note: neither creative writing nor film require you to have any qualifications to get into these fields for a career. Do also note that you can do all of the above with an English Lit degree (not that you need one) + PGCE in primary education with QTS. Alternatively, you should be able to do an MA in Creative Writing (not that you need one) after a BEd in Primary Education with QTS. They're pretty flexible.

From basic observation, I would say you want something pretty creative i.e. no mention of maths.
Reply 2
Okay so i've been sitting at my laptop for 30 minutes thinking about if my reply will be helpful or just confusing...
I also took a gap year in 2021 so can relate abit, one thing that i found helpful was surrounding myself with people who are actually doing the things i thought i wanted to do. I also looked on Eventbrite for events almost weekly, this was to help me learn to network too. These are things i think helped me get closer but i'm still confused myself when it comes to distinguishing between careers and hobbies.

You're interest in media targeted towards kids sounds great. Something i haven't really heard before, I'd guess with developing tech and as kids get more access to media, this will likely become a very important area of education to be working in.

Quick Reply

Latest