The Student Room Group

C3 Exponentials

ln(2x+1) = ln x + 2

How do i even start this?

I need to sue the working out for this question as the basis for all the questions i need to complete. Please could you tell me how to attempt this.
You want to get the equation in a form where the x is on one side.

Subtract ln x and use log laws to rearrange for x.
Reply 2
Original post by Integer123
You want to get the equation in a form where the x is on one side.

Subtract ln x and use log laws to rearrange for x.

could you do the first few lines for me? i find it easier working backwards to understand a method
thankyou
Original post by Desultory
could you do the first few lines for me? i find it easier working backwards to understand a method
thankyou

ln(2x+1)-ln x = 2
ln((2x+1)/x)=2
(2x+1)/x = e^2

You can solve it from here, but if you need more help, just ask :smile:
Reply 4
ln(2x+1)-ln x = 2
ln((2x+1)/x)=2
(2x+1)/x = e^2

You can solve it from here, but if you need more help, just ask :smile:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think this gives a fully simplified answer (see above). This is because would still have to us the inverse of ln to get rid of the e exponential.
Original post by 2025
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think this gives a fully simplified answer (see above). This is because would still have to us the inverse of ln to get rid of the e exponential.

My answer isn't simplified, I left that for the OP to complete - but in simplifying the answer, all is required is (2x+1)/x= e^2 => x = 1/(e^2-2). I don't need to remove the exponential since e^2 is a number, just like 4 is.
Reply 6
Hi everyone, full solutions are against the rules of the maths forum. Please read the posting guidelines.
Reply 7
My answer isn't simplified, I left that for the OP to complete - but in simplifying the answer, all is required is (2x+1)/x= e^2 => x = 1/(e^2-2). I don't need to remove the exponential since e^2 is a number, just like 4 is.

Oh okay. Thank you. I was just unsure if it mattered how it was done in the exam. I apologise if I'm asking stupid questions as I'm fairly new to the maths forum (as I'm doing A level Maths and Further Maths in one year).
Original post by 2025
Oh okay. Thank you. I was just unsure if it mattered how it was done in the exam. I apologise if I'm asking stupid questions as I'm fairly new to the maths forum (as I'm doing A level Maths and Further Maths in one year).

No worries, and good luck with all your exams, that's a lot of work! :smile:
Reply 9
No worries, and good luck with all your exams, that's a lot of work! :smile:

so much work! :eek3: :lolz: doing a BTEC in Engineering on top as well, whilst also doing a side project of making a voice recognition robot alcoholics drinks machine.:yeah: :yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:Good luck with your exams as well. I'm sure you'll do really well as you seem to know your stuff :h:. Which exam board are you with?
Wow that's seriously impressive! Thanks, I'm on AQA. What about you?
Reply 11
Wow that's seriously impressive! Thanks, I'm on AQA. What about you?

sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on tsr for a while. I'm doing edexcel for all my subjects. What other subjects are you doing?
Original post by 2025
sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on tsr for a while. I'm doing edexcel for all my subjects. What other subjects are you doing?

I'm on AQA for all of my subjects, doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
Reply 13
I'm on AQA for all of my subjects, doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science.

That's awesome. Good luck with all your exams.
Original post by 2025
That's awesome. Good luck with all your exams.

Thanks, and you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest