The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Looking to buy a bike, should I go road?

Hey all,

Due to the massive hike (or rather, lack of discount) in the systemOne tickets this year (they went from £360 to over £1,100!) I'm looking to instead take up cycling, get a little healthier, and save some money in the process.

I already lift five days a week and do cardio, so the ~10 mile daily ride won't phase me after the first few days (I hope). That said, is it a road bike I should be looking at? My journey will be almost completely flat road for the duration, save one or two slight inclines/declines along the way.

I've never been on a road bike before, if that makes a difference; but I used to cycle on mountain, crossover, and BMX bikes all the time.

Also, what kind of lock setup should I be looking at? A chap I know who is well up on his cycling told me I should be looking into both a D-lock and a cable lock. What do you think?

Many thanks!
Have a look at cyclocross bikes. Basically a road bike with slightly knobbly tyres and bigger clearance. You can switch tyres to skinnies during the summer for a roadie experience. For locks, most people recommend a D lock and you can get a cable to wrap around as well. Don't go for a cheap option on this!!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Look at hybrids as well. If you don't need the performance of a road bike they'll be more comfortable.

And regarding locks, you should be looking to spend 10% of the bike's value on your lock. Trust me, it's worth it. I live in Manchester and I've had a bike nicked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending