The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Organising your day at DRA (commute & lunch)

Hi, I just moved into DRA and was surprised to realise that there is no lunch on weekdays and no dinner on weekends.
As I have not lived in a place like St Andrews before, I would love to hear how other people at DRA organise themselves.

To me it seems that there are three aspects to consider:

1) Eating. Where do you eat if you can't get a meal at the DRA canteen and don't want to cook, in order to safe time?
Is there a university canteen in town which is available for every student, or are there only those for the main hall residents?

2) Studying spaces. Which places do you recommend do study or to just spend a productive day?

3) Commuting to the town centre or university facilities. While the walk is fun, I imagine that 30 minutes each way consumes a lot of time during busy periods.
Did you get a bike? I will probably try to find a cheap one or maybe even to buy an e-scooter.
Being able to rent scooters (ie Tier or Lime) would probably be incredibly helpful at St Andrews/DRA, but it seems that there isn't anything like this in St Andrews.
When looking into Google Maps, my impression was that there aren't many busses at DRA or that taking them would not save much time. But maybe I am mistaken.

All my questions basically link to how avoid losing time with the commute and lack of weekday lunches.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I just moved into DRA and was surprised to realise that there is no lunch on weekdays and no dinner on weekends.
As I have not lived in a place like St Andrews before, I would love to hear how other people at DRA organise themselves.

To me it seems that there are three aspects to consider:

1) Eating. Where do you eat if you can't get a meal at the DRA canteen and don't want to cook, in order to safe time?
Is there a university canteen in town which is available for every student, or are there only those for the main hall residents?

2) Studying spaces. Which places do you recommend do study or to just spend a productive day?

3) Commuting to the town centre or university facilities. While the walk is fun, I imagine that 30 minutes each way consumes a lot of time during busy periods.
Did you get a bike? I will probably try to find a cheap one or maybe even to buy an e-scooter.
Being able to rent scooters (ie Tier or Lime) would probably be incredibly helpful at St Andrews/DRA, but it seems that there isn't anything like this in St Andrews.
When looking into Google Maps, my impression was that there aren't many busses at DRA or that taking them would not save much time. But maybe I am mistaken.

All my questions basically link to how avoid losing time with the commute and lack of weekday lunches.

1. Do what everyone else who doesn't have catering does - meal prep or do something simple like a sandwich or salad that takes little prep time. You can pack the lunch in your bag and take it with you during the day, or put it in the fridge in your flat and go back to DRA for lunch. Same deal for weekend dinners. There's also pret, starbucks, etc. in town if you want to buy a lunch, and plenty of restaurants for dinner.

2. Everyone has different preferences - you can study in your room, at the main library, at one of the smaller libraries across town. Some schools/faculties have their own study spaces in their buildings as well. Try them out, figure out which you like.

3. A lot of people do have bikes. E-scooters are illegal in public places in Scotland. There are busses run by the university overnight (10pm - 2pm) but most people walk or bike.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending