The Student Room Group

How can I stop my mom worrying about me getting a motorbike?

I am nearly 21 and looking to get a motorbike. My mom is trying to dissuade my even though I have assured her that I will be careful many times, but she is still worried. How can I convince her not to worry?
If you find a way to stop a mother worrying please do share it with the rest of the world. Probably a bestseller!
Not v likely tbh. It's not just a matter of you being 'careful', its the massive lack of protection you have from everyone else who maybe isn't as careful.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am nearly 21 and looking to get a motorbike. My mom is trying to dissuade my even though I have assured her that I will be careful many times, but she is still worried. How can I convince her not to worry?

Get a car instead
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
Get a car instead
I already have a car.
Original post by Anonymous #1

It is impossible to prevent your Mother from worrying about you. She will worry about you for so long as she lives.

As for motorbikes, I am in my sixties and have recently retired from biking, for medical reasons. The first thing is to accept that riding a motorbike is dangerous. You can be the most skilled and careful biker in the world, wearing the best helmet and the best leathers, riding carefully on the best bike, and someone in a Ford Fiesta - who hasn't seen you - will still kill you. Wet leaves can kill you. A diesel spill can kill you. A pothole, a manhole cover, even a badly painted road marking - these can kill you.

Once you pass your test, please -

(1) Stay on a medium powered bike for a while, don't go straight to a super-fast bike.

(2) Sign up for advanced training in defensive riding.

(3) If you want to ride fast, do it on track days and not on the road - at track days there are no cars and vans, you are all going the same way, there are safety marshals, and there are medics on standby.

(4) Buy the most expensive helmet, gloves, boots, and armoured clothes which you can afford.

(5) If you drop your helmet, or you have a fall while wearing it, replace the helmet.

(6) Even on a hot summer day, always wear boots, gloves, and armoured clothes (lightweight ones are available). Do not ride in shorts and trainers or flip flops. The effects on the human body of falling off at 30 mph and sliding along tarmac are grisly to behold.

(7) Never touch a single drop of alcohol or any other intoxicant and ride. You need 100% focus when riding. You can sometimes get away with a lack of concentration when driving a car, but not when riding a motorbike.

Tell your Mum that you will do (1) to (7) above. It may help.

Have fun. Ride safely!
(edited 2 months ago)
Optional (8): Consider getting a classic bike, or a modern retro bike with performance similar to a classic bike. Modern bikes are all way too fast. Speed is fun, and even a bad bike is more fun than even a good car, but you have to learn how to deal with the risks of speed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending