The Student Room Group

8 A* and 3 A for GCSE 2017 - Any help needed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zq01
Omg this is genuinely the keenest thing I’ve seen in my life, English doesn’t require THAT much revision.

For some it does, maybe not for you
How did you structure revision for English language and literature? I have a terrible teacher, so have been struggling the whole year!!!
I'm just wondering if you have any tips on getting feedback for practice questions that you do or past papers, as obviously it's not as clear cut marking as say a maths paper x
Hey I really need help with revision because I have started but it isn't really structured.
Could you please tell me when you started revision?
Also how would you recommend to revise for Maths, English Literature, Science ,Geography , RE , Spanish and ICT?
What subjects did you take?
Did you have any tutoring for any of your subjects?
Reply 24
Original post by ellie.kitty
How did you structure revision for English language and literature? I have a terrible teacher, so have been struggling the whole year!!!

I went through my notes and made flashcards on quotations for each theme and character for English Literature and also used the CGP books.

For English Language I went through sample papers and the CGP textbook
Reply 25
Original post by Beenish1
Hey I really need help with revision because I have started but it isn't really structured.
Could you please tell me when you started revision?
Also how would you recommend to revise for Maths, English Literature, Science ,Geography , RE , Spanish and ICT?
What subjects did you take?
Did you have any tutoring for any of your subjects?

There are many online revision timetables that you could use, I didn't use a timetable however I wrote down daily tasks on what I wanted to complete each day.

I started light revision around February half term and then did solid revision throughout the Easter holidays.

I've written how I revised for Maths and English on this page.

I also took RE and just used the textbook to make notes to memorise key points. For science I mainly did past papers and used the CGP textbook to make notes/flashcards and the same for Geography.
What books did you study for English literature? And how did you find your language exam? I sat my GCSE english lang last year too in year 10 but I'm just curious as to how you found it. :smile:) Also How the hell did you manage your time? Like for mocks, I have them coming up in 2 weeks eeek, how long did you revise for and how did you prioritise between different subjects and college applications (writing personal statement, etc) Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions but Time management is something I'm really struggling with! Thankyouuu! :smile::biggrin::h:
Reply 27
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
What books did you study for English literature? And how did you find your language exam? I sat my GCSE english lang last year too in year 10 but I'm just curious as to how you found it. :smile:) Also How the hell did you manage your time? Like for mocks, I have them coming up in 2 weeks eeek, how long did you revise for and how did you prioritise between different subjects and college applications (writing personal statement, etc) Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions but Time management is something I'm really struggling with! Thankyouuu! :smile::biggrin::h:

English Literature; Lord of the Flies, Romeo & Juliet, Jekyll & Hyde and Power and Conflict poems
I found the language exam much easier than the Literature personally, however keeping track of time for each question was harder because you would want to write a lot more for easy questions.
Prioritise the harder subjects (obviously) but make sure the day before each exam you go through past papers if you haven't revised so you know what you can quickly look over.
For the mocks I didn't revise much because of college applications, however they don't really matter and the low grades from the mocks had actually motivated me to revise a lot harder for the real exams.
If time management is a struggle, make a timetable, you can do these online and print it out:

https://getrevising.co.uk/planner

Good luck!
Original post by Emily1609
English Literature; Lord of the Flies, Romeo & Juliet, Jekyll & Hyde and Power and Conflict poems
I found the language exam much easier than the Literature personally, however keeping track of time for each question was harder because you would want to write a lot more for easy questions.
Prioritise the harder subjects (obviously) but make sure the day before each exam you go through past papers if you haven't revised so you know what you can quickly look over.
For the mocks I didn't revise much because of college applications, however they don't really matter and the low grades from the mocks had actually motivated me to revise a lot harder for the real exams.
If time management is a struggle, make a timetable, you can do these online and print it out:

https://getrevising.co.uk/planner

Good luck!

Thankyouu soo much! Yeah I found the language exam easier than I expected! :h::tongue:
Reply 29
Was wondering what came up in the English lit exams last year, what poems ect.
thanks
Hi, I am currently in Year 12 studying A-Levels, was just wondering if anyone doing their GCSE's next year wanted any revision/study tips?

I did the 9-1 Maths (Edexcel) and English (AQA)

Hi, Emily 15/12/2017

I'm Mo and I'm currently in Year 11,I'm planning to revise during the Xmas holidays and my Autumn mocks were horrible,I'm using my mock grades as a motivation to study.

I'm doing only 5 GCSEs since my Head of Year wants me to focus on the most important subjects,English Language and Literature (AQA),Combined Science (AQA as well and I'll get 2 GCSEs for it) and finally Maths (Edexcel).

I can really use your advice,it would mean a lot to me.

You can head over to my thread,https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5075998

Mo.
elizabethan england questions 2017 do you know them
Hi, I am currently in Year 12 studying A-Levels, was just wondering if anyone doing their GCSE's next year wanted any revision/study tips?

I am just lost, my teacher is very weird... cant really ask her. I am struggling on:
1) What the exam question could be like about theme and characters like how i'm tested on theme/character (Doing AQA 9-1 in Macbeth,A christmas carrol and An Inspector calls)
2) When i make my theme/character quotes what needs to be on them. Like I was thinking for example having a theme analysis A3 sheet, putting a quote about that theme and extending off that quote have things like context and language or form or structure or whatever you need in a real exam. What will i need branching off the quotes on my theme and how will i do this?
3) I looked at mr bruff but he doesnt have theme/character videos on Macbeth so how shall i get my information that will branch off my quotes on my theme analysis A3 sheet. There's alot of things that need to brach of this and the cgp book doesnt cover it
Reply 33
I am doing triple science 9-1 aqa, and find it hard to memorise all the content for Biology. What is the most efficient way of memorizing it? Thank you.

Hey,
i have my mocks coming up and my first exam will be English literature paper 1, which will be on Macbeth and Frankenstein, and then the next day i have my Maths paper 1, can you give me tips on how to prepare, and really and truly i havent fully started revising, and my exams tomorrow, but when i dont revise i do get good grades for english, but still any tips? and can you give style exam questions that may come up, such as the subjects im doing are:
computer science
biology
physics
chemistry
english language/literature
psychology
religious studies
french
How did you have the motivation? Honestly most days I just cba, but I need to work; otherwise it's another day wasted and another day closer to my GCSE's.
At the moment I am achieving 5,5,6,6,7,7,7,8,8 but at the end I want 10 7/8's.

How did you revise for the sciences? Yeah, those are the 6,6. Atm for science I am just working my way through the relevant textbooks. (Double sci.)

Maths? I can't even. Got a 5, need at the least a 6, want a 7. I've got a tutor and that is helping but how else can I get the 7?

In the future I want to study History or Law at a Russel Group uni, and am probably taking Law, History and English at A- Level.

I am in Year 10, starting year 11 in September. It's getting closer!

Please, please help me! Thanks dude. :-)
Reply 36
Original post by username3529236

Hi I focused on memorising quotes for each book and split this into key themes and characters.

I also memorised lots of context about each other the authors!

For English language, I used the CGP revision guide for my revision but honestly didn't do much for English language - I don't think that excessive amounts of revision for language is necessary xx
Reply 37
Original post by Lucy.i
Was wondering what came up in the English lit exams last year, what poems ect.
thanks

I did the AQA exam board and bayonet charge came up, what books are you doing for English literature?
Reply 38
Original post by ''Mo''ster0224
Hi, Emily 15/12/2017

I'm Mo and I'm currently in Year 11,I'm planning to revise during the Xmas holidays and my Autumn mocks were horrible,I'm using my mock grades as a motivation to study.

I'm doing only 5 GCSEs since my Head of Year wants me to focus on the most important subjects,English Language and Literature (AQA),Combined Science (AQA as well and I'll get 2 GCSEs for it) and finally Maths (Edexcel).

I can really use your advice,it would mean a lot to me.

You can head over to my thread,https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5075998

Mo.

Hi,

For English Language I used the revision guides that were sold at school and practiced memorising techniques to look out for in the text.

I used the revision guides for each of the books I was studying in English Literature and wrote to key quotes that I needed to memorise and made sure that I had at least three quotations memorised per theme and character. Therefore, you would have a selection of quotes to use - I also used Sparknotes to look for quotations when I didn't have many notes on a particular part.

For science, I used the revision guides to write my notes and then followed that up with doing past papers - I recommend you do past papers because in many cases, at least one question that you have completed will reappear in the real paper.

Finally, for Maths past papers are also the key. The night the exam before I did several predicted papers which I found online and also used the CGP revision guide to go over any other topics that I wasn't confident on.

It may also help to create a timetable or a list of daily tasks for revision that you want to complete everyday - this will help you keep on track of revision!

I hope this helps!
Reply 39
Original post by Student5544
elizabethan england questions 2017 do you know them

sorry no I don't - is this for history?

Quick Reply

Latest