The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Aston University 2018 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chausettes
I’m predicted AAA (including general studies lol) and I also already have a B in sociology because I did 3 years at college. Personally I suck under exam pressure so I doubt I’ll achieve them which is why an unconditional offer is so appealing.
What are you going to study?

That's great, I'm predicted 3 As too! I'm looking to study Business computing and ICT and they want AAB for that so I'm really pleased. Did you you get Aston on the open and stuff? I thought it was really nice as everything was close together and it's in the centre of Birmingham. Aston is really good for business too so that's a plus
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 21
I've received all my offers but Aston and applied 7 weeks ago. A few friends also applied but they've been rejected. I'm glad I haven't been rejected but also worried I haven't been given an offer. Wanted to make Aston my firm and also move to Birmingham. It's the only university I act want to go to but feel now I have to consider another.

I also saw the reply saying 'first come first serve' so that worries me considering it's been over 7 weeks. anyone else received offers for comp sci??
Reply 22
I’ve been crazy worried and stressed about my application to aston. My application was sent on 7th decemeber to 2 courses (psychology and neuroscience). And my friend who applied for the same course (psychology) got an offer the next day! (Despite me having higher grades) But it’s been over a month for me and I’ve not got a reply which is so disappointing as it was my first choice and I’ve always loved Aston. Neuroscience was my first choice to study so... I’ve got 2 unconditionals from other schools so I’ve just started considering other options.. even tho I don’t want to.
Original post by MDVOP
I’ve been crazy worried and stressed about my application to aston. My application was sent on 7th decemeber to 2 courses (psychology and neuroscience). And my friend who applied for the same course (psychology) got an offer the next day! (Despite me having higher grades) But it’s been over a month for me and I’ve not got a reply which is so disappointing as it was my first choice and I’ve always loved Aston. Neuroscience was my first choice to study so... I’ve got 2 unconditionals from other schools so I’ve just started considering other options.. even tho I don’t want to.

Don’t rush to make your decision and don’t worry. You’ll be fine. You’ll get an offer hopefully ✨✨
Please i had biomedical engineering in Aston and city university of London.im confused which school to choose...Any help
Original post by Jherssykarh
Please i had biomedical engineering in Aston and city university of London.im confused which school to choose...Any help

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer. Do you have any questions? Rather than me just throwing marketing spiel at you.

Josh
I applied through UCAS Extra and got my conditional offer for the Applied Science and Engineering Foundation not too long after. I'm really looking forward to starting at Aston this September.

Apart from that I have a few questions:
- Do lectures start the week after you've just moved in?
- For placements could you do 50/50, such as study abroad and also have an industrial placement?
- What's the size of an average class/lecture?
anyone doing chemistry at Aston????
Original post by cosmic_macchiato

Congratulations on your offer, we look forward to you joining us. :smile:

Typically you will move in on the weekend before fresher’s week starts (15th-16th September.)

Fresher’s week will get you enrolled onto your course, give you some background information and assessments and most importantly it’s a good chance to adjust to university and make a number of new friends. Teaching usually starts the Monday after on the 24th.

- For placements could you do 50/50, such as study abroad and also have an industrial placement?
Usually, the minimum for a placement is six months, so providing you’re able to find both a study abroad course and an industrial placement each lasting six months you should be able to. Also, there is always the option of taking your industrial placement abroad.

Talking in rough estimates, the usual size is around 50 people, give or take 15. However, this will not be the case for first-year business courses which are taught with a common first year and all students studying a business school course will be in a lecture. Neither will this be the case for some of our niche languages courses which can have classes as small as 8 people.
Original post by JME1993
Aston Graduate - feel free to ask any questions.

Hello,

I am going to attend ASTON from Sept-2018.
Help me in finding private housing nearby University.
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Congratulations on your offer. Do you have any questions? Rather than me just throwing marketing spiel at you.

Josh

Go ahead
Original post by Jherssykarh
Go ahead

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply.

I will be happy if I find housing for myself nearby University with 70 to 100 GBP per week where all the amenities are accessible easily.

Thanks
Hima Suneeth
Reply 32
Hello Team Aston

Application was made for pharmacy by the deadline of 15th January.

Till date, there has been no decision. Decisions have been received from the other but it has not been possible to complete the process
while Aston is still outstanding.

You can imagine the frustration and anxiety this is causing as this means one is unable to proceed with making definite plans for
accommodation.
By the time your decision is made, all preferred and popular choices not just in your university, but any others would have been taken . Would you say that it is fair that five months plus is being taken to make a decision either way? What is the point of making us submit by the deadline and then you choose to take forever to make that decision that would enable us proceed to concluding this part of the university journey?
Would you agree there is an element of an ' I don't care' attitude on the part of the university? It's so unfair, its unbelievable that one university could choose for what ever reason to cause so much anxiety to students who are already overly anxious.

I can categorically state that your first come first served theory must not be right - or are you saying the university truly has not responded to most people who sent in their applications by the original closing date? I suppose you can argue that I have the option of withdrawing from Aston and then proceeding with any other offer received, but that would be a most pathetic response as besides this frustrating initial
response, Aston maybe the preferred university for a number of other reasons.

Will be great if someone in admissions would actually prioritise and respond to the long forgotten applications first.

Thank you from an exasperated applicant.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by udomo
Hello Team Aston

Application was made for pharmacy by the deadline of 15th January.

Till date, there has been no decision. Decisions have been received from the other but it has not been possible to complete the process
while Aston is still outstanding.

You can imagine the frustration and anxiety this is causing as this means one is unable to proceed with making definite plans for
accommodation.
By the time your decision is made, all preferred and popular choices not just in your university, but any others would have been taken . Would you say that it is fair that five months plus is being taken to make a decision either way? What is the point of making us submit by the deadline and then you choose to take forever to make that decision that would enable us proceed to concluding this part of the university journey?
Would you agree there is an element of an ' I don't care' attitude on the part of the university? It's so unfair, its unbelievable that one university could choose for what ever reason to cause so much anxiety to students who are already overly anxious.

I can categorically state that your first come first served theory must not be right - or are you saying the university truly has not responded to most people who sent in their applications by the original closing date? I suppose you can argue that I have the option of withdrawing from Aston and then proceeding with any other offer received, but that would be a most pathetic response as besides this frustrating initial
response, Aston maybe the preferred university for a number of other reasons.

Will be great if someone in admissions would actually prioritise and respond to the long forgotten applications first.

Thank you from an exasperated applicant.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your experience and any anxiety caused, usually decisions are turned around within three to four months.

Would you be able to DM me your Full Name, Email and UCAS ID? I work in marketing rather than admissions but will follow this up with admissions and see if there is a particular reason your application is held up.

Josh
Original post by suneeth7
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply.

I will be happy if I find housing for myself nearby University with 70 to 100 GBP per week where all the amenities are accessible easily.

Thanks
Hima Suneeth

Hi Hima,

Finding housing is always a little trickier when you're just starting at the University. The majority of our students will stay on campus in their first year and then move into a housing share with friends they've made in the second year.

Your best bet is to do some intense googling and trying to find fellow first year students who are willing to live off campus from the get-go and then find more affordable private accommodation.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Josh
Original post by cosmic_macchiato
I applied through UCAS Extra and got my conditional offer for the Applied Science and Engineering Foundation not too long after. I'm really looking forward to starting at Aston this September.

Apart from that I have a few questions:

Sorry about this but do you mind me asking What A levels did you do? And just wether or not your grades were above CCC. I want to apply for this course next year but I can't seemed to find anyone else who has expect you.
I just wanted to ask what the entry requirements were for chemical engineering through clearing at Aston University in 2017 and is it likely to be in clearing again for 2018 and what the entry requirements might be? thanks
Original post by Trizzyyy
I just wanted to ask what the entry requirements were for chemical engineering through clearing at Aston University in 2017 and is it likely to be in clearing again for 2018 and what the entry requirements might be? thanks

Hi,

We are yet to list our clearing entry requirements. Historically as a rule of thumb, I would expect nothing more drastic than a reduction by two grades.

Josh
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

We are yet to list our clearing entry requirements. Historically as a rule of thumb, I would expect nothing more drastic than a reduction by two grades.

Josh

Thanks for that but what were the grades needed for chemical engineering through clearing last year?
(I tried finding them but couldn't find them anywhere.. tried the library to btw)
Original post by Trizzyyy
Thanks for that but what were the grades needed for chemical engineering through clearing last year?
(I tried finding them but couldn't find them anywhere.. tried the library to btw)

Looking at the archived version of our clearing webpages from last year:

MEng Chemical Engineering went as low as AAB
BEng Chemical went to CCC

Obviously, please use these as a rule of thumb, although things are looking to be similar to last year in terms of entry requirements, there is no guarantee entry requirements will remain the same this year.

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest