The Student Room Group

Actuarial/IFoA thread

I figured I'd make a thread for anything actuarial.

Is anyone here looking to sit exams in April? And are you currently employed in an actuarial role?
Original post by Kay D

Is anyone here looking to sit exams in April? And are you currently employed in an actuarial role?

Hi there I'm currently employed as an actuarial consultant and I am sitting CT1 & CT5 in April!

Sort of trying to pre-empt the imminent exam changes coming in the syllabus. How about yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by Paraphilos
Hi there I'm currently employed as an actuarial consultant and I am sitting CT1 & CT5 in April!

Sort of trying to pre-empt the imminent exam changes coming in the syllabus. How about yourself?

Good stuff. I'm currently unemployed unfortunately. If you don't mind me asking, how much prior experience did you have before you obtained an actuarial role?
I'm looking to sit some CT exams in April but I'm not yet sure which ones I should sit to be honest. Have you started revision yet?
Original post by Kay D
Good stuff. I'm currently unemployed unfortunately. If you don't mind me asking, how much prior experience did you have before you obtained an actuarial role?
I'm looking to sit some CT exams in April but I'm not yet sure which ones I should sit to be honest. Have you started revision yet?

If you are looking to sit a CT in April sit ones that you have a higher chance of not redoing once the new syllabus comes in to place at the end of 2018 e.g. If you take CT4 in April you'd have to make sure you take CT6 at the same time or in the next sitting so you wouldn't have to redo them in the new syllabus (provided you pass both)
Original post by Kay D

I have two Graduate offers from some big firms and I will start work in September 2018 with anything from 3 to 6 exemptions from the CT exams as things currently stand. Is there anything I need to learn before I start?

Did you get a Grad role straight out of Uni? Do you mind sharing where you work in here or by PM?
Hi both. I managed to secure a graduate role after graduating indeed!
Original post by Kay D

Hi there. I didn't have any actuarial experience beforehand, nor any specific knowledge about actuarial mathematics - this is actually the case for a lot of people I know in my firm and others. I imagine that in most places you interview at they don't really mind at all if you don't have relevant experience. Ultimately, you wouldn't learn a great deal during an internship in an actuarial practice, although it may help a little.
Hi there. I didn't have any actuarial experience beforehand, nor any specific knowledge about actuarial mathematics - this is actually the case for a lot of people I know in my firm and others. I imagine that in most places you interview at they don't really mind at all if you don't have relevant experience. Ultimately, you wouldn't learn a great deal during an internship in an actuarial practice, although it may help a little.

Hi,
We often tell students that as long as they have the minimum requirements e.g. A level and/or degree then it will be sufficient to apply to actuarial roles.

If you have any work experience, either working part time or during an internship then this will also enhance your application as some employers look for students with communication, team work and organisational skills which can be applied in the workplace.

I hope that helps.
Hi everyone,

I've just accepted an offer of a graduate actuarial role to start this coming August, and I thought I'd try and use the time until then productively by just revisiting and revising some techniques and topics which might be useful to me when starting out, just to get my maths 'chops' in shape, as it were!

Can anybody recommend material which would beneficial to look over? What am I likely to use a lot of initially?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Does anyone know the total number of exams for the new curriculum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending