The Student Room Group

add another one subject a-level on the next exam season

I’m about to finished 3 A-level (CIE) subject examinations (math, physics, bio) this may/june exam and was wondering if I could possibly add another subject (say compsci) for the October/November examination? Was wondering if the scores could be combined pr something like that (in a way that I can apply to uni with 4 A-levels)

Thanks a bunch!
Original post by jasminebach
I’m about to finished 3 A-level (CIE) subject examinations (math, physics, bio) this may/june exam and was wondering if I could possibly add another subject (say compsci) for the October/November examination? Was wondering if the scores could be combined pr something like that (in a way that I can apply to uni with 4 A-levels)

Thanks a bunch!

Would you be studying for the 4th A level independently, and then taking the exams as a private candidate?

I don't know of anything which would specifically prevent you doing this. Obviously, you'd be trying to squeeze a full A level into a few months, which might mean your grade isn't as impressive as you're hoping. How were you planning on sourcing a predicted grade for your UCAS application?

I assume you're aware that it very few courses at very few universities which will pay any attention to that 4th A level anyway?

Finally, what the benefit of taking the 4th A level in October/November. You're presumably taking a gap year before university, so why not just take the 4th A level next May/June?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Would you be studying for the 4th A level independently, and then taking the exams as a private candidate?

I don't know of anything which would specifically prevent you doing this. Obviously, you'd be trying to squeeze a full A level into a few months, which might mean your grade isn't as impressive as you're hoping. How were you planning on sourcing a predicted grade for your UCAS application?

I assume you're aware that it very few courses at very few universities which will pay any attention to that 4th A level anyway?

Finally, what the benefit of taking the 4th A level in October/November. You're presumably taking a gap year before university, so why not just take the 4th A level next May/June?

I have been studying the 4th A-level independently as my school does not teach that subject so I think thats still manageable and yes I will be taking it as a private candidate.

For now, I’m thinking about doing regular decision on other universities other than those in the UK as well (as an international student) thats mostly in early next year. I’m looking at those top universities and decided that possibly, having another A-level would boost my grades by slight.
Original post by jasminebach
I have been studying the 4th A-level independently as my school does not teach that subject so I think thats still manageable and yes I will be taking it as a private candidate.

For now, I’m thinking about doing regular decision on other universities other than those in the UK as well (as an international student) thats mostly in early next year. I’m looking at those top universities and decided that possibly, having another A-level would boost my grades by slight.

Understood. If you're keen to do the 4th A level, as an independent candidate in October/November, then I don't see any practical issue stopping you.

(If you're going to do this, note that the CIE "Final entries deadline" for the November 2023 series is 16 August, although exam centres will already have provided their estimated entries by 10 May.)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. If you're keen to do the 4th A level, as an independent candidate in October/November, then I don't see any practical issue stopping you.

(If you're going to do this, note that the CIE "Final entries deadline" for the November 2023 series is 16 August, although exam centres will already have provided their estimated entries by 10 May.)

Well noted. Thanks, appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest