The Student Room Group

Revision techniques for maths

Does anybody know the best ways to revise for an upcoming maths gcse mock exam on all three papers?
Reply 1
Original post by Anais Basi
Does anybody know the best ways to revise for an upcoming maths gcse mock exam on all three papers?

The best thing to do is to just practice problems. I'd recommend the CGP workbooks as these have tonnes of exam style questions that are graded (in the practice workbooks). There's also an exam practice workbook with some practice papers and a grade 7 to 9 book if that's what you're aiming for. Other than that, websites such as maths genie are pretty good for questions. Make sure you know your formulae. Recite them over and over again, make posters if you need to, sing them, whatever; just make sure you know them and can use them fluently. Honestly, there's not much else you can do for maths.

Good luck!
I always think the best way to revise for maths is to do as many questions as you can. It'll make it easier for you to recognise what the question is asking, what method you're going to need to use etc. Maybe focus on the topics you struggle most with and get used to the techniques!
Reply 3
r i p bruh

Past papers tho, focus on the questions you understand the least
Speaking as a Yr 12 Student who got 9 in the GCSE, it was really hard to revise properly, because there were only a few sample papers. But what I would did was:
- Made a poster of key formulae hidden under post-it notes. Every morning/night I would test myself on all of them (or all the difficult ones anyway!) If you know the formulae, you can definitely figure out where to go.
- I made notes on the whole specification in the form of flashcards. For areas I wasn't so sure on, I made little example cards that I could refer to. It really helps if you explain things in your words - I even made up my own notation to remember things and rules. (On that note, MNEMONICS ARE LIFE)
- I printed off all the sample papers and some 'predicted' ones we had at the time. The trick is not to do them all so early. Focus on notes earlier in your revision, and papers later (at least that worked for me.) I even did a past paper on the morning of each exam, and it really really helped me get in the 'Maths mode' and also memorise some familiar questions.

For reference, I was predicted a 7 from my school and got a 7 in our January mocks. I really did not expect to do as well as I did haha.
Just remember to persevere, and try not to get too caught up on revision! I did, and it really ruined my summer holidays because I felt sort of weird and empty.
If you want to know anything else, don't hesitate to pop me a message! Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest