The Student Room Group

Revision tips

Hello! I did post about this before but im trying to get as much help as possible. I am starting y11 in September (2 weeks AHHHH) anyways i really need to get above grade 6’s because i am an aspiring cardiothoracic surgeon so obv i need med school. My grades rn range from grade 4,5,6 is there any way anyone could share useful revision tips and advice. My subjects are combined higher science AQA, higher maths AQA, english lit and lang AQA, geography AQA, child development OCR, psychology OCR, art and idk what board that is LMAO. Anyway tysm <33
Original post by Viyanbh
Hello! I did post about this before but im trying to get as much help as possible. I am starting y11 in September (2 weeks AHHHH) anyways i really need to get above grade 6’s because i am an aspiring cardiothoracic surgeon so obv i need med school. My grades rn range from grade 4,5,6 is there any way anyone could share useful revision tips and advice. My subjects are combined higher science AQA, higher maths AQA, english lit and lang AQA, geography AQA, child development OCR, psychology OCR, art and idk what board that is LMAO. Anyway tysm <33

Hi @Viyanbh!

It's great that you're thinking about this so early- I guess that would probably be my best advice- to start revising right from the beginning of year 11. Don't overdo it though, your well-being is just as important as any of your academic pursuits! Just start off with 10 minutes of revision a day on top of your homework and start to increase it gradually after Christmas. Remember that you've still got a year to make your grades the best they can be.

Good Luck!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hey @Viyanbh

My personal favourite revision technique is called blurting, basically, close your notes and try to write a fact or something you need to remember from memory. Then, reopen your notes and see what you got wrong, correct what you wrote and on the other side of the paper, write it again. After a few times, I always find I can remember it and get it right.

I also find it really useful to have someone test me. So maybe ask a family member if they can quiz you or do a quiz with your friends.

We have lots more revision techniques here that I find really useful: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/exams-and-revision/best-ways-to-revise/best-revision-techniques

Hope that helps! Abbie :smile:
Original post by Viyanbh

It would be beneficial to make your revision resources as you go along so you can spend more time revising when it comes to mocks and the actual exams.

For geography (and maybe psychology, I have never studied it) you need to make sure you know your case studies, having information that can differentiate it from any other place or concept. For maths the best thing you can do is to do as many practise questions and papers as you can so you understand what you are doing.

Quick Reply

Latest