The Student Room Group

Year 12 Mocks

hi,
as its the new year I have mocks coming up in June, because it January should I start doing past papers to prepare myself early?
for reference I do three a levels in product design, maths and history and I am expecting myself to get and AAB
Hi, I just did my yr12 mocks: I do maths, further maths and psychology.(finished them today) and from my experience, I would say it would be better to prepare earlier. There are benefits such as having a lower workload in the long term etc year 13, knowing what studying techniques are effective in time for the real exam and improving in areas where your own personal strengths and weaknesses lie when it comes to studying and having a better study routine.
From experience, the best way is to first learn content, not too much but enough to give you a foundation and understanding of the subject and what each topic means. Then start a few past papers and add the answers from past papers to your notes. For maths it’s about technique and past papers really help from sites like A level maths revision, physics and maths tutor, mathspanda and YouTube is very helpful. For history, learn the content very well and then continue to repeat that every few days consistently for your memory then learn structure for each question that comes up then start past papers. And for product design I assume learning content then past papers is critical aswell. By the study period which is about May, you should be on past papers only and learning from them. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by JeniusJeni
Hi, I just did my yr12 mocks: I do maths, further maths and psychology.(finished them today) and from my experience, I would say it would be better to prepare earlier. There are benefits such as having a lower workload in the long term etc year 13, knowing what studying techniques are effective in time for the real exam and improving in areas where your own personal strengths and weaknesses lie when it comes to studying and having a better study routine.

Thank you!!!! I am definitely going to start now, I already do revision such as practice questions but in 100% going to start past papers so I can get use to exam style in time for June
Reply 4
Original post by ToxicMenace
From experience, the best way is to first learn content, not too much but enough to give you a foundation and understanding of the subject and what each topic means. Then start a few past papers and add the answers from past papers to your notes. For maths it’s about technique and past papers really help from sites like A level maths revision, physics and maths tutor, mathspanda and YouTube is very helpful. For history, learn the content very well and then continue to repeat that every few days consistently for your memory then learn structure for each question that comes up then start past papers. And for product design I assume learning content then past papers is critical aswell. By the study period which is about May, you should be on past papers only and learning from them. Hope this helps!

Thank you!!!! I am proactive in lessons and I have a base knowledge on all my subjects, thank you for your advice and I will start adapting into my current revision routine
No worries. Enjoy your subjects, and make sure you find an interest in an aspect of your subjects which really helps for further research and also when u come to write ur personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest