The Student Room Group

Maths help - ratios!! :(

Hello everyone! just needed some help on maths! Here's my question:

2008: Total jobs = 289 waiters jobs = 47
2009: Total jobs = 350 waiters jobs = ?

So if the ratio stays the same as how it was in 2008, what would be the number of waiter jobs in 2009?

Thank you !!
what has 289 been multiplied by to reach 350 ?
Original post by the bear
what has 289 been multiplied by to reach 350 ?

That's probably not the best way of looking at the question, seeing as what the question actually says. What is the ratio of 289:47 as x:1(consider this to be the scale factor if that helps)?

If the next year follows the same ratio, then you will get 350:y where y has to equal 350/x. Work from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moltenmo
That's probably not the best way of looking at the question, seeing as what the question actually says. What is the ratio of 289:47 as x:1(consider this to be the scale factor if that helps)?

If the next year follows the same ratio, then you will get 350:y where y has to equal 350/x. Work from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

His approach gives the same answer and is much quicker.
Original post by RDKGames
His approach gives the same answer and is much quicker.

It is much quicker, but doesn't help in understanding the question for what it's saying. I would of course advise against the method I showed, but I thought it would be helpful to show the alternative way of approaching the question (as that's what's stated in the question).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
It is much quicker, but doesn't help in understanding the question for what it's saying. I would of course advise against the method I showed, but I thought it would be helpful to show the alternative way of approaching the question (as that's what's stated in the question).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying everyone! But I’m still confused ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it helps in understanding the question otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach the answer

And the portion of people more satisfied with algebraic equations is small.
Original post by Bart12345
Of course it helps in understanding the question otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach the answer

And the portion of people more satisfied with algebraic equations is small.

Ok, well it doesn't really need to be algebraic per se. I was just showing the procedure behind it.

Quick Reply

Latest