The Student Room Group

Should I do Business BTEC?

Hi, I'm in Year 11, and for sixth form, I'm thinking of taking business btec, however, I'm not very good at maths so I was wondering if business btec has maths involved in it - also are there any formulas you need to know for the business exam, hope that makes sense. If it helps the course I'm thinking if doing is the: BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Business.
Thanks,
Neve
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by neve_xx
Hi, I'm in Year 11, and for sixth form, I'm thinking of taking business btec, however, I'm not very good at maths so I was wondering if business btec has maths involved in it - also are there any formulas you need to know for the business exam, hope that makes sense. If it helps the course I'm thinking if doing is the:
Thanks,
Neve

Hello, Sarah here, I can draw from my own experience a couple of years ago that BTEC business is actually a good GCSE choice to persue. I used to think the same way because I was fed up of doing maths. However, the exam is split up into coursework and an exam based ratio, 60%-40%. I think that there are calculations, of course, however, the maths questions are more or less common sense/ become more straight forwards with practise, hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by sarahlovessummer
Hello, Sarah here, I can draw from my own experience a couple of years ago that BTEC business is actually a good GCSE choice to persue. I used to think the same way because I was fed up of doing maths. However, the exam is split up into coursework and an exam based ratio, 60%-40%. I think that there are calculations, of course, however, the maths questions are more or less common sense/ become more straight forwards with practise, hope this helps!

It does help, thank you :smile:
Original post by neve_xx
It does help, thank you :smile:

no worries, if you have any other questions about gcse btec business, you can ask me if you want.
Original post by neve_xx
Hi, I'm in Year 11, and for sixth form, I'm thinking of taking business btec, however, I'm not very good at maths so I was wondering if business btec has maths involved in it - also are there any formulas you need to know for the business exam, hope that makes sense. If it helps the course I'm thinking if doing is the: BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Business.
Thanks,
Neve

Hi Neve!
I am in year 12 taking btec extended diploma. I have just had a finance exam and I'm predicted to have nearly full marks. I was getting 3's in GCSE maths for basically my whole time at school and i hated maths as a subject overall. I have to say that the maths in business is definitely a lot different than GCSE maths (obvs😅) - i found it simpler to understandd and theres no faffing around the houses with Pythagoras or volume of a shape🤣 Because its replicate of real life scenarios, its easier to imagine the situation and set the scene. Once you understand the context it is a breeze. It's more about application than the equations themselves, but once you learn the equations you'll be fine! if you learn the equations by using flashcards mnemonics, substituting the numbers will be second nature. But definitely don't let the maths hold you back! If you are interested in btec business as a subject, then you'll enjoy learning the maths side which 100% makes life so much easier. I hope this helps and if you have any questions let me know :smile:
Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending