The Student Room Group

Tips for Oxford History Interview!?!?!?!

Hi! I got an interview invitation for Oxford to study History. Any tips / words of wisdom to take into the interview? I am an international student.
Which college, out of interest?
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0
Which college, out of interest?

Brasenose
Original post by SkkkkrtttSkkkkrt
Brasenose

i'm jealous of that! I would say know everything on your personal statement inside out because they will most certainly ask about that. Beyond that, they are looking to test how you think things through etc so if you google Oxford (or Cambridge they ask the same stuff) interview questions, you should come up with a bank load and practice those. Also do some source work.
As a first year history student I compared notes with others when I got here. The general format was the same for all interviews at all colleges but the specifics varied a lot.

As a minimum you get two interviews at your college. Each is typically with two tutors. One is on a set text you get 20-30 minutes to read and make notes before getting questions fired at you on it. The other interview is more general. I got asked about historical British attitudes to Europe (topical re BREXIT), my written work & personal statement but others got asked about what history could tell us about Middle East crisis, US politics etc. and some did not get asked anything on their PS but did get asked about time periods they were studying at school.

There is no single standard as they are looking to get you thinking (it isn’t a knowledge test) but there is advice including mock videos, sample questions etc. on the Oxford website. There were also lots for advice videos from students on You Tube so I assume they are still there. Look at what you can find. Practice with teachers/friends/family. Read your submitted written work & PS. Refresh on any books or topics you mentioned. On the day don’t be afraid to say you don’t know (but use it to show what you do know) or ask a clarifying question. Try not to panic. Try to enjoy it. My first interview did feel like a grilling but I really enjoyed my second as I was talking about stuff I love. Hopefully it showed!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
There are a few colleges that don't do the set text interview - in which case the division may be one 'general' interview using your personal statement as a starting point and one starting from your written work. Also, be aware that a set text doesn't have to be a written source ie: some colleges have been known to give images as a source.

Agree with previous poster that you should re-familiarise yourself with your personal statement. Think about things like what you particularly liked about books mentioned? Were there any things you weren't convinced about in their methodology or arguments? How would you summarise any books read or school projects that you mentioned?

Agree with SonOfAGeek about asking for clarification if needed and take a moment to get your thoughts together before launching into an answer. But don't sit in silence for ages thinking without speaking - explain what you are thinking (this is especially the case if you have moved beyond what you have studied and are responding to new information/questions). If you are rambling, stop and acknowledge it and ask to start again! If they ask about something that you haven't studied at all it is ok to say so! That way they can either move onto a different topic or give you some information to work from - that is more useful for them than you rambling about something you know nothing about.
Original post by HarryScotchy
i'm jealous of that! I would say know everything on your personal statement inside out because they will most certainly ask about that. Beyond that, they are looking to test how you think things through etc so if you google Oxford (or Cambridge they ask the same stuff) interview questions, you should come up with a bank load and practice those. Also do some source work.

Awesome thank you SO much!!
Awesome. Thank you so much. This is very helpful :-)

Original post by Kiki09
There are a few colleges that don't do the set text interview - in which case the division may be one 'general' interview using your personal statement as a starting point and one starting from your written work. Also, be aware that a set text doesn't have to be a written source ie: some colleges have been known to give images as a source.

Agree with previous poster that you should re-familiarise yourself with your personal statement. Think about things like what you particularly liked about books mentioned? Were there any things you weren't convinced about in their methodology or arguments? How would you summarise any books read or school projects that you mentioned?

Agree with SonOfAGeek about asking for clarification if needed and take a moment to get your thoughts together before launching into an answer. But don't sit in silence for ages thinking without speaking - explain what you are thinking (this is especially the case if you have moved beyond what you have studied and are responding to new information/questions). If you are rambling, stop and acknowledge it and ask to start again! If they ask about something that you haven't studied at all it is ok to say so! That way they can either move onto a different topic or give you some information to work from - that is more useful for them than you rambling about something you know nothing about.
Original post by SonOfAGeek
As a first year history student I compared notes with others when I got here. The general format was the same for all interviews at all colleges but the specifics varied a lot.

As a minimum you get two interviews at your college. Each is typically with two tutors. One is on a set text you get 20-30 minutes to read and make notes before getting questions fired at you on it. The other interview is more general. I got asked about historical British attitudes to Europe (topical re BREXIT), my written work & personal statement but others got asked about what history could tell us about Middle East crisis, US politics etc. and some did not get asked anything on their PS but did get asked about time periods they were studying at school.

There is no single standard as they are looking to get you thinking (it isn’t a knowledge test) but there is advice including mock videos, sample questions etc. on the Oxford website. There were also lots for advice videos from students on You Tube so I assume they are still there. Look at what you can find. Practice with teachers/friends/family. Read your submitted written work & PS. Refresh on any books or topics you mentioned. On the day don’t be afraid to say you don’t know (but use it to show what you do know) or ask a clarifying question. Try not to panic. Try to enjoy it. My first interview did feel like a grilling but I really enjoyed my second as I was talking about stuff I love. Hopefully it showed!

Thank you, too. Really appreciate it. You guys are all so helpful!
Hey Im a history skype interviewee too 😁 how many interviews did you have out of curiosity??
Original post by SkkkkrtttSkkkkrt
Hi! I got an interview invitation for Oxford to study History. Any tips / words of wisdom to take into the interview? I am an international student.

out of interest how did you get on? did you pass the interview? what are your thoughts on the HAT?

Hope it went well... Honestly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending