The Student Room Group

Oxbridge hopeful

hello, i’m looking to apply to oxford university after college, and would love some information about how to do a really good application for it/ things i can do to make myself stand out and be a good candidate for it. I’m already achieving most of the grades (i’m in yr11 right now) and was wondering about extracurriculars that would interest the uni.
Original post by Ivy_rose08
hello, i’m looking to apply to oxford university after college, and would love some information about how to do a really good application for it/ things i can do to make myself stand out and be a good candidate for it. I’m already achieving most of the grades (i’m in yr11 right now) and was wondering about extracurriculars that would interest the uni.

Depends on what Oxford course you are looking at doing.

Also, Oxford favours supercurriculars over extracurriculars.
Original post by TypicalNerd

Depends on what Oxford course you are looking at doing.

Also, Oxford favours supercurriculars over extracurriculars.

i want to study history
Original post by Ivy_rose08
i want to study history

Okay.

I’m not a history student, but what I do know is that if you pick Oxford over Cambridge, you’ll need to ace the history aptitude test (HAT) in order to be shortlisted for interviews. If this is the case, nearer the time you apply, look through and attempt a few HAT papers to get an idea of what to expect from them. I’m not sure about the Cambridge course, though.

I would look at the following for suggestions as to what supercurriculars are especially useful: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf

I would also consider mentoring less confident students in history and engaging in debates to improve your ability to articulate points, defend and refine your points of view and pick apart questionable arguments.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Truth be told nobody really cares about your extracurriculars, your PS is too short to waste paragraphs on how you love fishing.
What you need in order of importance is

Do well on their admissions test

Achieve 95% UMS AS-level results.

Have a broad read-up about 1st-year uni topics for your subject so you don't choke at the interview.

Do well in competitions in your subject area. E.g top 100 at Maths olympiad, I'd doubt there's much in history so you can skip this one.

Do related activities in your subject area, e.g. Summer intern at English Heritage, put that on your PS instead of fishing. Because your hobby SHOULD BE the subject you want to study

Be likable and genuinely passionate and enthused at interviews.

last tip, just apply to one the unpopular colleges to bolster your chances, they don't make any difference when you hit the job market
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by AndyChow
Truth be told nobody really cares about your extracurriculars, your PS is too short to waste paragraphs on how you love fishing.
What you need in order of importance is

Do well on their admissions test

Achieve 95% UMS AS-level results.

Have a broad read-up about 1st-year uni topics for your subject so you don't choke at the interview.

Do well in competitions in your subject area. E.g top 100 at Maths olympiad, I'd doubt there's much in history so you can skip this one.

Do related activities in your subject area, e.g. Summer intern at English Heritage

Be likable and genuinely passionate and enthused at interviews.

last tip, just apply to one the unpopular colleges to bolster your chances, they don't make any difference when you hit the job market

this is really helpful, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending