The Student Room Group

A Level French is stressing me out!

Right, so I am taking A levels in Chemistry, Biology, French and Panjabi, and I got A*s in all 4 at GCSE. But French is soooooooo hard! I am in Year 12, and so I almost a term into the course, but I feel that vocab is endless and there are so many structures I don't recognise (grammar), and I really want an A at the end of the course! Please tell me that it gets better!!!!!!! Can any Yr 13's give any advice??!!
Reply 1
What exam board are you on? I take A Level French too.
Original post by alexseb31
What exam board are you on? I take A Level French too.

I do AQA :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hategcses123
I do AQA :smile:

Aw, I'm on Edexcel :frown: I know what you mean about grammar though, I personally enjoy the grammar side of the course but a lot of people in my class have said they struggled with it at first. Just keep refreshing yourself and make some flash cards perhaps? After a while it'll sink in and I'm sure the course will get better!
Do you practice conversational French in class? We aren't allowed to speak English in class, unless we really don't understand, and even then we have to ask permission in French first. It sounds awful (I was horrified when I first started) but it helps so much. :smile:
Original post by hategcses123
Right, so I am taking A levels in Chemistry, Biology, French and Panjabi, and I got A*s in all 4 at GCSE. But French is soooooooo hard! I am in Year 12, and so I almost a term into the course, but I feel that vocab is endless and there are so many structures I don't recognise (grammar), and I really want an A at the end of the course! Please tell me that it gets better!!!!!!! Can any Yr 13's give any advice??!!

I took A Level French last year - I would be in year 13 now but I had to drop out of school for personal reasons. However, I was on track to get an A*, and I am half French! I found that there was a LOT of vocab, even for a French person, but just keep going over and over it and it does start to stick. Speaking of sticking, put the words up in your room, your bathroom, your kitchen - everywhere. Get a flashcard app on your phone, and just keep reading over them again, and again... and again.

As for the grammar, it does get easier because in the first year, your teacher is probably trying to rush through the course so that you've covered all of the chapters. You get more time later to revise the structures, and they do start to become clear the more you read in general. If you don't understand something, don't panic! If you ask your teacher, I'm sure they'll go over it with you. And if you want to ask me anything about it, I'm more than happy to try and help!

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by MlleAnonyme
I took A Level French last year - I would be in year 13 now but I had to drop out of school for personal reasons. However, I was on track to get an A*, and I am half French! I found that there was a LOT of vocab, even for a French person, but just keep going over and over it and it does start to stick. Speaking of sticking, put the words up in your room, your bathroom, your kitchen - everywhere. Get a flashcard app on your phone, and just keep reading over them again, and again... and again.

As for the grammar, it does get easier because in the first year, your teacher is probably trying to rush through the course so that you've covered all of the chapters. You get more time later to revise the structures, and they do start to become clear the more you read in general. If you don't understand something, don't panic! If you ask your teacher, I'm sure they'll go over it with you. And if you want to ask me anything about it, I'm more than happy to try and help!

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest