The Student Room Group

how do i choose what alevels to do?

i know of three subjects id like to continue, but i dont really want to do all three of them as a leves. i want to do english literature for sure, history, and media. but all three are very essay based, which i think would be a bit too heavy. anyone have any other suggestions? im studying french and economics at the moment for gcse aswell.
Reply 1
Depending on whether you want to go to university, do an apprenticeship or start working I'd recommend having a look at the kind of requirements you need to do it. Don't forget by the time you reach the end of your a levels your interests may have changed.
Also, take a look at the prospectus of your potential a level subjects wherever you're looking to study them because you might find that the subject content really interests you or not.
Generally just ask your teachers as many questions as you can about what kind of subjects you need and what it would be like studying it at a level.
Many places also allow you to change a level courses in the first few weeks of September so you can do that if you really don't like the subjects pick
Hope this helps and good luck!
Original post by jessm0159
i know of three subjects id like to continue, but i dont really want to do all three of them as a leves. i want to do english literature for sure, history, and media. but all three are very essay based, which i think would be a bit too heavy. anyone have any other suggestions? im studying french and economics at the moment for gcse aswell.

Couldn't stress this enough - check what the requirements are for the subject you want to take at uni (if you want to go). Had lots of friends heavily regretting their A-level choices because it meant they weren't able to take their dream course at uni (look at different unis as the requirements can differ). If you don't know what course you want to do at uni, that's fine. Take what you enjoy and if you find you don't actually like it, as someone mentioned, you'll most likely be able to swap within about a month from September. I had friends swapping later than this, around Nov/Dec which is an awful idea because you miss out on key theory taught at the beginning which means you'll end up lagging behind for the next year or so...

I would also recommend asking people who have taken the subjects you are considering to find out more about it, you can do this through family and friends or other forums. You may find the subject is completely different to what you had in mind as GCSE differs from A level quite a bit in some subjects - hopefully this may narrow down some of your choices!
Reply 3
Hi stressed year11 deciding a levels here!!!!!!!!!!
(It’s due last Friday so a speedy replywould be appreciated )

Just as background I’m planning to study medicine and am definitely taking bio chem and maths. I’m undecided on a fourth subject tho (which I may drop if I become too overwhelmed with work gor my other 3 a level).
i am taking both french and spanish gcse and getting 8-9s in both currently. I’m really not sure whether to do french or Spanish Alevel???? I would say i like french as a language a teensy bit more, but one of the topics on both the alevels is about political opinion and immigration etc. im worried of this would be an awkward topic for me as a hijabi learning about this, especially with what’s going on in France at the moment 😬 but at the same time, am i really going to let a but of discrimination and my teachers slightly outdated views on immigration stop me from studying something i like??

(Sorry if this is long, you dont have to read this partAs for my teachers, my spanish teacher is amazingand she likes me. She really wants me to do it for a level, annd I feel bad to disappoint her. I also get on well with my french teacher,but he is not as organised, but i will get 2 new french teachers in a level who are both really nice. And again, should the teachers influence me on studying something? In addition, I prefer the French movie and book we study at a level rather than the Spanish ones.

So overall, i like both (inclined to french a bit more)but don’t want to feel uncomfortable in my french lessons about certain topics, which I wouldn’t feel in Spanish.

Also, is Spanish history more interesting…?? We justdo ww2 for french…
Reply 4
Original post by 13spring02
Hi stressed year11 deciding a levels here!!!!!!!!!!
(It’s due last Friday so a speedy replywould be appreciated )

Just as background I’m planning to study medicine and am definitely taking bio chem and maths. I’m undecided on a fourth subject tho (which I may drop if I become too overwhelmed with work gor my other 3 a level).
i am taking both french and spanish gcse and getting 8-9s in both currently. I’m really not sure whether to do french or Spanish Alevel???? I would say i like french as a language a teensy bit more, but one of the topics on both the alevels is about political opinion and immigration etc. im worried of this would be an awkward topic for me as a hijabi learning about this, especially with what’s going on in France at the moment 😬 but at the same time, am i really going to let a but of discrimination and my teachers slightly outdated views on immigration stop me from studying something i like??

(Sorry if this is long, you dont have to read this partAs for my teachers, my spanish teacher is amazingand she likes me. She really wants me to do it for a level, annd I feel bad to disappoint her. I also get on well with my french teacher,but he is not as organised, but i will get 2 new french teachers in a level who are both really nice. And again, should the teachers influence me on studying something? In addition, I prefer the French movie and book we study at a level rather than the Spanish ones.

So overall, i like both (inclined to french a bit more)but don’t want to feel uncomfortable in my french lessons about certain topics, which I wouldn’t feel in Spanish.

Also, is Spanish history more interesting…?? We justdo ww2 for french…

Hiya, I had the exact same problem about Spanish or French as a fourth subject myself. In the end I did not do either because at my school we do EPQ automatically and another project based qualification called AED so my time is already taken up a lot.
For you, I'd consider the benefits of doing a fourth subject instead of something extracurricular or supracurricular like EPQ because a fourth a level is a lot and universities don't care about it as much as they used to. If you could do more wider research about subjects you are studying or continue languages at home but not as a subject it could be just as beneficial but less stressful. Maybe you could do AS level if it's available?

If you are set on doing a language. I'd say Spanish is more useful in the wider world as more people speak it. From the little I know, Spanish history is very interesting as it has Roman, islamic and European influences plus more. I would choose whichever you think you would enjoy more because it is a lot of time to invest and if you don't like it you'll be less motivated to do well. I chose Spanish before reversing my decision because I had greater faith in my Spanish teacher to be as organised and motivated as I needed them to be. If you could have a look at the specifications and maybe a taster of an a level lesson for each I think that'd be good. You should be able to swap subjects in September if you really don't like one of them as well.
I hope that helps, I understand the difficulty of the choice. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest