The Student Room Group

Pope wants to change Lord's Prayer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MiszShortee786
Something known as research.

Your research skills have let you down then. Your knowledge of the Bible is woeful (and wrong).
Original post by Astana
I think it's universally accepted that Islam is the most oppressive religion.

Wearing the hijab/niqab/burqa is not about oppression.
Original post by Lepidolite
Wearing the hijab/niqab/burqa is not about oppression.

I don't think that is the only point Astana was referring to...
Original post by ChallengeLover
I don't think that is the only point Astana was referring to...

That’s fine, but the way she dresses was commented on so thought I’d clarify.
Original post by ChallengeLover
Makes soo much sense- I don't see how him being able to read and write takes away from anything. He passed it on by word so there is still the possibility that he just came up with it and spread it.

Also... Why do we see contradictions in the Quraan if they are from the infallible Allah?

You'll probably refute these but a little something from my RS homework from last year.

Allah creates the heavens and the earth in six days [7:54]. Many Muslims want to be modern and scientific, and make that six eons, but then again, He creates instantaneously [2:117], "Be! And it is"

Doesn't make sense... Clarify my misunderstanding- is science wrong or is the Quraan wrong? (This is not any sort of attack but rather a question)

There you go! You've answered it yourself. 'Passed'. If that was the case then why on earth do Muslims dont question it? Are we really that naive?

Name me some contradictions please?

As I have always stated science is always playing catchup with what Islam and the Quraan had discovered time ago<< I dont mind being refuted upon this point.

The Holy Quraan is never wrong so that rules out science I guess.
Original post by Good bloke
Your research skills have let you down then. Your knowledge of the Bible is woeful (and wrong).

Thank you I was aware of that. I can say the same about those questioning A-Z of the Holy Quraan and Islam for that matter.
Original post by MiszShortee786
There you go! You've answered it yourself. 'Passed'. If that was the case then why on earth do Muslims dont question it? Are we really that naive?

Name me some contradictions please?

As I have always stated science is always playing catchup with what Islam and the Quraan had discovered time ago<< I dont mind being refuted upon this point.

The Holy Quraan is never wrong so that rules out science I guess.

But if I make up a lie and "pass" it on, does that make it the truth?

Right... Soon science will learn that all we know of was made in a matter of days.

Contradictions... Hmmm- let me consult my RS homework.
According to Sura 10:90-92, Pharaoh repented "in the sight of death" and was saved. But Sura 4:18 says that such a thing can't happen. (This was obviously a misinterpretation, wasn't it?)

Next one was a very interesting point made by an ex-muslim in my class: "Strong drink and ... are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork. [5:90, also 2:219]. Yet on the other hand in Paradise are rivers of wine [47:15, also 83:22,25]. How does Satan's handiwork get into Paradise?". Those are the exact words she used in class.

There are others but my homework only extended soo far...

Nice to know where you stand.
Reply 89
Revelation 22: 18-19

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Original post by danpr88

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

warthogs = 666

http://www.white2000.com/number/number.htm
Original post by danpr88

BBC Blue Peter = 666

:afraid:

Knew it all along- never trust anything that has the name "Peter" in it.
Original post by danpr88

david icke book = 666

Didn't Jesus utter it? So what authority (other than the silly God's representative nonsense) does he have over Jesus?? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
The Pope has called for a change to the Lord's Prayer. He wants to change the line "lead us not into temptation" because God does not lead humans to sin.

Should the wording be changed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42279427
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/08/lead-us-not-into-mistranslation-pope-wants-lords-prayer-changed

Lots of Christians must have wondered who that line was addressed to. Why would God 'lead us into temptation'? Even weirder, was the line addressed to Satan? :eek:

This is one of those oddities in Catholicism (and some other branches of Christianity), a bit like the belief in the resurrection of the dead. If you go to heaven, purgatory or hell when you die, then what is all this stuff about the eventual resurrection of the dead at the Grand Return of Christ? What exactly gets resurrected? Do you have two spirits? More than two?
Reply 96
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lots of Christians must have wondered who that line was addressed to. Why would God 'lead us into temptation'? Even weirder, was the line addressed to Satan? :eek:

This is one of those oddities in Catholicism (and some other branches of Christianity), a bit like the belief in the resurrection of the dead. If you go to heaven, purgatory or hell when you die, then what is all this stuff about the eventual resurrection of the dead at the Grand Return of Christ? What exactly gets resurrected? Do you have two spirits? More than two?

The Pope is Satan:

The Literal Meaning of "Antichrist" As used in the Bible, the term combines the Greek word, "anti", with the title commonly given to Jesus. The main meaning of this word is, "instead of" or, "in place of".

"Antichrist", therefore means, literally, "someone who stands instead of, or in place of, the real Jesus Christ". It could be someone who bears the actual name, "Antichrist".

It could be someone who falsely claims to be Christ. It could be a false Christ, promoted by others, in place of the real one.

It could be someone who falsely claims authority to speak for and exercise the authority of the real Christ.

Pope claims to be God:

Cardinal Sarto, who became Pope Pius X, said this

The Pope represents Jesus Christ Himself...

The Gloss of Extravagantes of Pope John XXII says this:

But to believe that our Lord God the Pope the establisher of said decretal, and of this, could not decree, as he did decree, should be accounted heretical (emphasis added)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by danpr88
The Pope is Satan:

The Literal Meaning of "Antichrist" As used in the Bible, the term combines the Greek word, "anti", with the title commonly given to Jesus. The main meaning of this word is, "instead of" or, "in place of".

"Antichrist", therefore means, literally, "someone who stands instead of, or in place of, the real Jesus Christ". It could be someone who bears the actual name, "Antichrist".

It could be someone who falsely claims to be Christ. It could be a false Christ, promoted by others, in place of the real one.

It could be someone who falsely claims authority to speak for and exercise the authority of the real Christ.

Pope claims to be God:

Cardinal Sarto, who became Pope Pius X, said this

The Pope represents Jesus Christ Himself...

The Gloss of Extravagantes of Pope John XXII says this:

But to believe that our Lord God the Pope the establisher of said decretal, and of this, could not decree, as he did decree, should be accounted heretical (emphasis added)

Oh lol, medieval and post-medieval popes did all kinds of stuff to try to emphasise their superiority and mega-importance, whereas the reality on the ground was that often they had pathetically little influence or control over events. John XXII was one of the 14th century Avignon princes who was mostly interested in (a) accumulating vast amounts of cash and (b) persecuting heretics. He was however somewhat pleasant to Muslim rulers (that makes a nice change in Christian history) and at the time of that absurd decretal, he was busy fighting for his survival against a rival pope. They used to have antipopes popping up all the time and the popes had to either be protected by the French crown or the Holy Roman Empire - picking the wrong one was frequently disastrous. So I think we can safely take the Lord God the Pope thing with a fairly large pinch of salt. Who knows, perhaps it was a typo. (A 'quillo'?)

I am ignoring your antichrist nonsense because frankly I don't take the Bible as a source for anything any more seriously than I take the Vatican, apart from the true words of Jesus, where confirmed by all Gospel sources and not made up later.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

You are beginning to realise that religions are full of unanswered questions, illogical dogma and contradictions, Grasshopper. You are now ready to move on to the next stage of your training - iconoclasm for beginners.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending