The Student Room Group

Am I Muslim if I am choosing not to worship God?

I question whether there is an afterlife but I still think God made us, but if there is no afterlife why do people worship? I don't want to worship God
Reply 1
In all the holy books there is a mention of life after death.Think of it like this. If someone did bad to you in life then passed away then justice needs to be done in the courts of God.Likely if someone did good deeds in life then after life a reward is granted.So there is an afterlife
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I question whether there is an afterlife but I still think God made us, but if there is no afterlife why do people worship? I don't want to worship God

Without any sense of accountability, good and bad have no meaning, and people only care about accountability if there are implications. In this sense, it would make sense that if humans have been made with a purpose, then we are accountable for meeting that purpose and good and bad become relative to that purpose i.e. worshipping and obeying God.

If you are Muslim, then you acknowledge that there is sufficient evidence to say that Islam is the religion God has communicated to mankind through revelation, and you have knowledge and understanding of the miracles that you yourself can see (such as the Qur'an), seen the prophecies coming true before your eyes (like the signs of the Day of Judgement approaching e.g. Arabs competing in building the tallest buildings, state of Israel being created whilst the Muslims are weak, war with the Turko-Mongols in the Medieval period, conquests of various lands, etc), and understand the message that God has given us this purpose to worship Him, and that the afterlife exists.

If you are skeptical the afterlife exists, then my guess is that the 2nd paragraph does not apply to you because I do not see why you would have doubt if you have knowledge of all these things and proofs that Islam is from God. My advice is thus research and reflection.

Addressing your last point, you wanting or not wanting to worship is maybe more a case of Kufr vs. Imaan in the sense if you had knowledge of all these things in the 2nd paragraph but then chose to still not worship out of perhaps laziness or hatred of Islam or God or skepticism or whatever, then that would be the definition of Kufr because you know the truth in your heart but cover it with rejection and doubt, whereas those who believe accept the unseen like the afterlife.
Reply 3
God doesn't need you to worship him but you worship him as YOU need him by your side in good times and bad. God made this world for you. He blessed you with oxygen nature. Health. Stars. Families. Love and so so much more.
Are humans so ungrateful that you don't want to be thankful for everything you have and everything around you???
Reply 4
Choosing not to worship God is a personal choice.
Reply 5
We all worship God in our own ways. Showing kindness. Charity or being nice to others is also a form of worship

May Allah guide OP
Reply 7
In theory, assuming that you still fully accept islam's statement of faith- yes.
You are still within the fold of islam & compatible with the basics of the islamic statement of faith if you believe in the one God without partner or equal and accept islam's final prophet as his messinger.

You are outside the islamic statement of faith if: you are atheist, a polytheist, believe that the one God has any partners/an equal, reject the existance of islam's last prophet or acknowledge his life whilst disputing whether he was a messenger of the one God.

You have the same right as every other UK adult to choose your own religious beliefs and how you practice your religion. :smile:
Including whether daily worship or participation in regular group worship rituals is a part of your routine.
How you choose to identify in terms of personal religious affiliation or sect is up to you.
Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
In theory, assuming that you still fully accept islam's statement of faith- yes.
You are still within the fold of islam & compatible with the basics of the islamic statement of faith if you believe in the one God without partner or equal and accept islam's final prophet as his messinger.

You are outside the islamic statement of faith if: you are atheist, a polytheist, believe that the one God has any partners/an equal, reject the existance of islam's last prophet or acknowledge his life whilst disputing whether he was a messenger of the one God.

You have the same right as every other UK adult to choose your own religious beliefs and how you practice your religion. :smile:
Including whether daily worship or participation in regular group worship rituals is a part of your routine.
How you choose to identify in terms of personal religious affiliation or sect is up to you.
Good luck!

Don't speak without knowledge, you have made a tremendous error. If you deny or even doubt the Afterlife you are absolutely a disbeliever, without a doubt. There are countless evidences in the Qur'aan about the Afterlife and by rejecting them, you deny the Qur'aan and therefore deny Allaah and His Messenger.

Allaah says (meaning):

Ṭā, Seen. These are the verses of the Qur’ān [i.e., recitation] and a clear Book
As guidance and good tidings for the believers
Who establish prayer and give zakāh, and of the Hereafter they are certain [in faith].
Indeed, for those who do not believe in the Hereafter, We have made pleasing to them their deeds, so they wander blindly.
Those are the ones for whom there will be the worst of punishment, and in the Hereafter they are the greatest losers.
[Sūrah an-Naml 27:1-5]

And they say, "There is none but our worldly life, and we will not be resurrected."
If you could but see when they will be made to stand before their Lord. He will say, "Is this not the truth?" They will say, "Yes, by our Lord." He will [then] say, "So taste the punishment for what you used to deny."
Those will have lost who deny the meeting with Allāh, until when the Hour [of resurrection] comes upon them unexpectedly, they will say, "Oh, [how great is] our regret over what we neglected concerning it [i.e., the Hour]," while they bear their burdens [i.e., sins] on their backs. Unquestionably, evil is that which they bear.
[Sūrah al-An'aam 6:29-31]

“And those who disbelieve in the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allaah and the Meeting with Him, it is they who have no hope of My Mercy: and it is they who will have a painful torment
[al-‘Ankaboot 29:23]

Is it clear now, or should I keep going?
Original post by I7V
Don't speak without knowledge, you have made a tremendous error. If you deny or even doubt the Afterlife you are absolutely a disbeliever, without a doubt. There are countless evidences in the Qur'aan about the Afterlife and by rejecting them, you deny the Qur'aan and therefore deny Allaah and His Messenger.

Allaah says (meaning):

Ṭā, Seen. These are the verses of the Qur’ān [i.e., recitation] and a clear Book
Who establish prayer and give zakāh, and of the Hereafter they are certain [in faith].
Indeed, for those who do not believe in the Hereafter, We have made pleasing to them their deeds, so they wander blindly.
Those are the ones for whom there will be the worst of punishment, and in the Hereafter they are the greatest losers.

And they say, "There is none but our worldly life, and we will not be resurrected."
If you could but see when they will be made to stand before their Lord. He will say, "Is this not the truth?" They will say, "Yes, by our Lord." He will [then] say, "So taste the punishment for what you used to deny."
Those will have lost who deny the meeting with Allāh, until when the Hour [of resurrection] comes upon them unexpectedly, they will say, "Oh, [how great is] our regret over what we neglected concerning it [i.e., the Hour]," while they bear their burdens [i.e., sins] on their backs. Unquestionably, evil is that which they bear.

“And those who disbelieve in the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allaah and the Meeting with Him, it is they who have no hope of My Mercy: and it is they who will have a painful torment

Keep going your doing brilliant :clap2:
Reply 10
If you accept that God made us from nothing, why do you think that He can't resurrect us?

Allaah says (meaning):

- “And He it is Who originates the creation, then He will repeat it (after it has been perished); and this is easier for Him. His is the highest description (i.e. none has the right to be worshipped but He, and there is nothing comparable unto Him) in the heavens and in the earth. And He is the All‑Mighty, the All‑Wise” [al-Room 30:27]

- “As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it. (It is) a promise binding upon Us. Truly, We shall do it” [al-Anbiya’ 21:104]

- “Do they not see that Allaah, Who created the heavens and the earth, and was not wearied by their creation, is Able to give life to the dead? Yes, He surely is Able to do all things” [al-Ahqaaf 46:33]

- “And among His Signs (is this), that you see the earth barren, but when We send down water (rain) to it, it is stirred to life and growth (of vegetations). Verily, He Who gives it life, surely is Able to give life to the dead (on the Day of Resurrection). Indeed He is Able to do all things” [Fussilat 41:39].

And countless other evidences. Rejecting what Allaah revealed negates one being a believer, as any sound mind would understand. I kindly invite you to accept Islaam, the religion of truth. Allaah says (meaning): "And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me." [adh-Dhaariyaat 51:56]
We have been created to worship Allaah alone and not doing will eradicate all of our good deeds. Allaah sustains us and provides for us so why do we turn our backs to Him? He has sent down the Qur'aan to the Prophet Muhammad and in it He has shown us the guidance to be from the people that will be successful. We will surely be resurrected to be held accountable for our deeds, for otherwise this life is pointless.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by I7V
If you accept that God made us from nothing, why do you think that He can't resurrect us?

Allaah says (meaning):

- “And He it is Who originates the creation, then He will repeat it (after it has been perished); and this is easier for Him. His is the highest description (i.e. none has the right to be worshipped but He, and there is nothing comparable unto Him) in the heavens and in the earth. And He is the All‑Mighty, the All‑Wise” [al-Room 30:27]

- “As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it. (It is) a promise binding upon Us. Truly, We shall do it” [al-Anbiya’ 21:104]

- “Do they not see that Allaah, Who created the heavens and the earth, and was not wearied by their creation, is Able to give life to the dead? Yes, He surely is Able to do all things” [al-Ahqaaf 46:33]

- “And among His Signs (is this), that you see the earth barren, but when We send down water (rain) to it, it is stirred to life and growth (of vegetations). Verily, He Who gives it life, surely is Able to give life to the dead (on the Day of Resurrection). Indeed He is Able to do all things” [Fussilat 41:39].

And countless other evidences. Rejecting what Allaah revealed negates one being a believer, as any sound mind would understand. I kindly invite you to accept Islaam, the religion of truth. Allaah says (meaning): "And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me." [adh-Dhaariyaat 51:56]
We have been created to worship Allaah alone and not doing will eradicate all of our good deeds. Allaah sustains us and provides for us so why do we turn our backs to Him? He has sent down the Qur'aan through the Prophet Muhammad and in it He has shown us the guidance to be from the people that will be successful. We will surely be resurrected to be held accountable for our deeds, for otherwise this life pointless.

:clap2:
Original post by I7V

Allaah says (meaning):

The decision of who is a true believer going by the atom of faith standard and whose beliefs are acceptable will ultimately be made by God alone, not any human alive on earth today.

I do not believe in the scriptural infallibility or inerrancy of any religious book of scripture.
No amount of quoted translations of ancient scriptural texts can change my mind on this.
Yes, you’re still a Muslim, just a lazy one. I don’t blame you though, worshipping God is so pointless, boring and an awful waste of time when you can be doing other more interesting things.
Reply 14
Original post by I7V

Allaah says (meaning):

The amount of respect I have for you is ineffable.:h:

if you think about it, would you rather be prepared for an afterlife and then die to find out theres none, or be unprepared and find out there IS an afterlife,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending