The Student Room Group

U.S. Isolated at UNSC - U.S. Vetoes UNSCR on Jerusalem

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jizzy Junub
Can the US even be called a superpower anymore? Imagine being a """superpower""" and only having 7 nobody countries intimidated by your vile kikey threats. Sad!

When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, they will naturally want to side with the strong horse. I'm not surprised the world laughs at America.
Original post by Jizzy Junub
Can the US even be called a superpower anymore? Imagine being a """superpower""" and only having 7 nobody countries intimidated by your vile kikey threats. Sad!

Being a superpower means you can do what you like disregarding what the rest of the international community thinks. US just keeps on doing that so... yes they are.
The countries that the US threatened to withdraw aid from if they voted against Israel should threaten to stop hosting US military bases on their soil and invite the Russians or Chinese to replace their bases.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Being a superpower means you can do what you like disregarding what the rest of the international community thinks.

Are North Korea a superpower, then?
Reply 23
Original post by Palmyra
The countries that the US threatened to withdraw aid from if they voted against Israel should threaten to stop hosting US military bases on their soil and invite the Russians or Chinese to replace their bases.

I can see you'd rather support Iran than Israel and China or Russia than the US. Why don't you go live in one of those countries? Typical champagne lefty.
Original post by Adrono
I can see you'd rather support Iran than Israel and China or Russia than the US. Why don't you go live in one of those countries? Typical champagne lefty.

I don’t live in Israel or the US, I live in the U.K., and the UK supported the resolution...

588EE211-3400-41E5-AC3E-AA2DB753954B.jpeg
Original post by Palmyra

North Korea can try... but if you hadn't noticed it's one of the poorest countries (also propped up by superpower China) as a consequence.

The US has ignored international consensus ever since it has been a super power. Just because it elected a moron like Trump doesn't stop it being a superpower.
North Korea can try... but if you hadn't noticed it's one of the poorest countries (also propped up by superpower China) as a consequence.

The US has ignored international consensus ever since it has been a super power. Just because it elected a moron like Trump doesn't stop it being a superpower.

My point is that superpower status is not conferred on any country that simply disregards international consensus, as you had suggested.
Original post by Palmyra
My point is that superpower status is not conferred on any country that simply disregards international consensus, as you had suggested.

Nope. I said being a superpower means you do what you like. You have weight to throw around. This is still true. I never said weaker countries can do it and get to be a superpower. They will be severely punished if they try. Throwing your weight around is something you can do when you re already powerful, it isn't what ultimately makes you powerful.

So... the US is still a superpower even though the UN voted against it. Which was my point.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Palmyra
I don’t live in Israel or the US, I live in the U.K., and the UK supported the resolution...

588EE211-3400-41E5-AC3E-AA2DB753954B.jpeg

You clearly don't get what I said. You'd rather have one of those countries to hold geopolitical power over the US. Which I'm calling you a fool for.
Original post by Adrono
You'd rather have one of those countries [China or Russia] to hold geopolitical power over the US. Which I'm calling you a fool for.

It is Trumptards and Israel-first neocons that are isolating the US on the world stage and rendering that outcome an inevitability, not me. :smile:
Nope. I said being a superpower means you do what you like. You have weight to throw around. This is still true. I never said weaker countries can do it and get to be a superpower. They will be severely punished if they try. Throwing your weight around is something you can do when you re already powerful, it isn't what ultimately makes you powerful.

So... the US is still a superpower even though the UN voted against it. Which was my point.

The US is unable to deal with North Korea; imagine thinking Europoors can touch Israel.
A study of the UNGA vote (which passed by 128-9) by population shows that 90.5% of the world population voted against the US, 9% abstained, and 0.5% voted with the US.

A visual illustration of Trump's international isolation:

63% of US voters oppose moving the US Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Yet it was supported 90-0 (/100) in the US Senate, including by "progressive" politicians such as Bernie Sanders.

How can this disparity between public opinion and political representation be explained? In similar cases involving banking reform or the pharmaceutical industry, we would point to the role of big banking/pharma lobbies - does the same apply here?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra

Even from a purely narrow US interest perspective, Trump doesn't seem to grasp that the aid is a carrot to keep these countries aligned with Washington, and that there are far more significant matters to threaten withdrawing that carrot than an UNGA vote, which are ten a penny.

Similar story with the demands that all the other NATO members spend more on defence. He doesn't seem to get that the US relationship with most of its "allies" is less an alliance of equals than a quasi-patron/client understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending