The Student Room Group

Financing options for UK resident International student

I am a U.S./UK dual national and am stuck between two stalls. I am going to university in September but as I have only lived in the UK since December 2020 I have been classified as an International student. This means higher fees and makes me ineligible for a government loan. It also means I can’t apply for a loan in the US either as I don’t live there. Any suggestions on how to secure financing?
Original post by Jackson_2004
I am a U.S./UK dual national and am stuck between two stalls. I am going to university in September but as I have only lived in the UK since December 2020 I have been classified as an International student. This means higher fees and makes me ineligible for a government loan. It also means I can’t apply for a loan in the US either as I don’t live there. Any suggestions on how to secure financing?

Hi there,

Just to confirm, did you make an application with us online, and were you told that you were ineligible there?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
No, did not start here. There’s a bit more to the story we had always meant to move summer 2020 and qualify as a home student…but lockdown delayed us until December hence not qualifying as a home student, with no university willing to make an exception for me. Applied with A levels done during a gap year. Have offers but they all consider me a home student due to lack of 3 years’ residency…due to Covid. Now Catch 22; not a Home student so unable to take a UK loan, but not a U.S. resident so unable to take a US loan.

Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Just to confirm, did you make an application with us online, and were you told that you were ineligible there?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
No did not make an application with you first, no.

No, did not start here. There’s a bit more to the story we had always meant to move summer 2020 and qualify as a home student…but lockdown delayed us until December hence not qualifying as a home student, with no university willing to make an exception for me. Applied with A levels done during a gap year. Have offers but they all consider me a home student due to lack of 3 years’ residency…due to Covid. Now Catch 22; not a Home student so unable to take a UK loan, but not a U.S. resident so unable to take a US loan.
No did not make an application with you first, no.

Thanks, based on what you've said it sounds like you may be ineligible. However, we'd definitely suggest making an application with us online. That way the assessors can confirm for certain that this is the case: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

If you have a particular university in mind we'd also suggest speaking to them directly to see if they're able to offer any help or advice.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending