The Student Room Group

Is A-level Further Mathematics it's own A-level?

I was planning to take A level Maths, Further Maths and Physics next year and i was wondering whether Oxbridge/Russell Group uni's see FM as it's own a level or an addition to A Level Maths
Original post by benhollandyoung
I was planning to take A level Maths, Further Maths and Physics next year and i was wondering whether Oxbridge/Russell Group uni's see FM as it's own a level or an addition to A Level Maths

For maths, physics and engineering (I'm assuming you want to go into these with those a levels) most will see it as a separate A level.
Careers adviser at my school said that anyone doing further maths should take other subjects (including maths) just to keep their options open a little bit more but this is obviously not compulsory. I do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry (self studying further maths) and I would suggest doing another a level. Chemistry is the one that fits in the best but maybe a contrasting one like history? Again, not required but useful.

If you have any courses in mind, it might be useful to look at the entry requirements at different universities for that particular course and try find out what the most common taken a levels were for entrants on the course. I think Whatuni has this information but it may be the UCAS website (if neither of them, someone should correct me and say which one it is)
Some unis will ask for a fourth (Imperial/LSE IIRC).

It depends on what degrees you are applying for. Anything maths, physics or engineering will see it as a separate A-level, for example.
Reply 5
Yes they do, for real brother.

If you don't want to study physics, maths or engineering, or even chemistry it's not much of a useful A-Level.

But for the above courses, it's always considered separate.

Quick Reply

Latest