The Student Room Group

mature student a levels

hi im a mature student (19) looking to study a levels of chemistry maths and further maths, im in south wales, does anyone know of anywhere that would let me do this? as i've seen cardiff and vale college don't offer further maths for mature student.
why not just do an access course? cheaper, quicker, and probably better suited
Reply 2
Original post by symptom
why not just do an access course? cheaper, quicker, and probably better suited

you cannot study mathematics degrees with an access course, at best i could do access to science but they'd still want maths /+ fmaths a level
Original post by possibly_emma
hi im a mature student (19) looking to study a levels of chemistry maths and further maths, im in south wales, does anyone know of anywhere that would let me do this? as i've seen cardiff and vale college don't offer further maths for mature student.

You can sit any examboard and any subject as long as it's not CAIE or IALs i.e. only A-Levels offered by Pearson Edexcel, AQA, OCR, WJEC/EDUQAS at Campbell Harris College!!! 🙂

Campbell Harris College, 185 Kensington High Street, London, W8 6SH.

They have a lot of mature students and are one of the few centres in London or the UK which offer practical exams in A-Level Sciences.

Also, they hire out a large hall at venues locally in Kensington.

How to register | Campbell Harris
Original post by possibly_emma
you cannot study mathematics degrees with an access course, at best i could do access to science but they'd still want maths /+ fmaths a level

As you're in Wales you might actually be able to avoid the current limiting factor for students in England which is that the science endorsement (practicals) is separate to the A-level and most unis require them, and it's very expensive to arrange. Since I think in Wales they still use the modular format which includes the practicals. That said, it's still likely to be expensive to do the science A-levels due to the practicals and costs providers incur to run those.

It might be easier to look for an Access course and do the maths/FM A-level in parallel somehow, although granted the timeframes for those don't really align and Access courses are quite intensive. If you have found a provider that offers the A-level subjects you want otherwise and you can afford them and it's feasible for you and it's just a lack of A-level FM though, you might be able to get support through the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme. I think they're more England focused but may have some support for Welsh students as well, in providing access to A-level Further Maths where it's not otherwise provided.

Equally if your college doesn't provide FM to you (at all or for your situation) this is something your academic referee can note in their reference to universities won't necessarily hold a lack of FM against you. Also not all maths degrees (or similar) require A-level FM (and some that do may make dispensations where it's not available to students through no choice of their own), and may also be happy to accept FM done in a gap year for example. So you could look at doing another subject as your third in place of FM and still have quite a lot of options :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending