The Student Room Group

Dundee vs Heriot Watt vs Stirling (for Economics)

Hello all. A little background, I am a mature student from Greece applying for Economics. I m choosing universities in Scotland only for financial reasons. My list for UCAS right now is:

1)University of Edinburgh
2)University of Glasgow
3)University of St Andrews
4)University of Stirling (most likely)
5)?

So I have one more to choose and I m between Dundee and Heriot. I m still discussing the possibility of switching Stirling if needed.
My criteria are :
a)course and academic standards
b)cost of life and possibility of getting a pt job at that city
3)most interesting city-campus
4)connectivity to airports

Any input would be appreciated!
My brother is at Heroit-Watt and I’ve visited a few times. It’s a really nice and modern campus but it’s about 30 minutes on the bus away from Edinburgh’s city centre and you need to get a bus to most of the places you would be able to get a job at (the Gyle Shopping Centre for example). Heriot-Watt does have modern student housing though, it’s really good. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you for the info, yes i friend that went there and says the same. What is your brother studying? Is he in the business school by any chance?
He’s studying urban planning and property management so I think he’s in the urban studies department
Original post by SkillBill
Hello all. A little background, I am a mature student from Greece applying for Economics. I m choosing universities in Scotland only for financial reasons. My list for UCAS right now is:

1)University of Edinburgh
2)University of Glasgow
3)University of St Andrews
4)University of Stirling (most likely)
5)?

So I have one more to choose and I m between Dundee and Heriot. I m still discussing the possibility of switching Stirling if needed.
My criteria are :
a)course and academic standards
b)cost of life and possibility of getting a pt job at that city
3)most interesting city-campus
4)connectivity to airports

Any input would be appreciated!

Hi SkillBill,

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in but we have a great reputation for Economics at Heriot-Watt so I thought I might try to answer some of your questions and let you know a bit more about us.

You might like to hear that we’ve recently been ranked as the 3rd best uni for Economics in the whole of the UK in the Guardian University Rankings 2018, behind only Oxford and Cambridge. We always do pretty well in the other league tables for Economics too!

One reason we do well is because for 6 of the past 7 years we have achieved the best ‘value added’ score in the UK for Economics which basically means we’ve had the most students achieve First and Upper Second-Class degrees relative to our entry levels. We also have two research centres dedicated to Economics which helps us attract academics of very high quality who design and teach our degrees. This ensures our courses are up to date and of a high standard.

In addition we have a great community in the Economics department. Each student is assigned an academic mentor and most lecturers have an open-doors policy for students to see them. We also have a very popular student-run Economics Society which puts on professional and social events and links students up with key industry partners like Ernst and Young and BP, check it out here: http://www.hweconomics.com/

The general structure of our Economics degrees are that in years 1 3 we introduce Macro and Micro Economics and build a strong foundation in the theory and practice of applying statistical economic techniques. Then in Year 4 you will take a broader view to explore and analyse Global Economic Policy. Of course there is lots of flexibility and opportunities to choose courses from different disciplines within that structure.

We do have a countryside campus which is a bus ride to the city centre but these buses run about every 15 minutes until late into the night. Our campus also happens to be close to Edinburgh Airport which is handy for you as you wouldn’t have to go through town to get there.

The campus itself has everything you would need such as shops, a student union, a brand new gym (in Oriam which is Scotland’s new national sports performance centre located on our campus), and of course it is very handy for the library and all your lectures.

I hope this is helpful! If you want to know anything else just ask or email [email protected]

Best of luck with your applications!

Daniel (School of Social Sciences Admissions)
Reply 5
Thank you all for replies.
Reply 6
Have you considered Aberdeen? A great reputation though the city iitself is not as big as Glasgow or Edinburgh. It has good transport links athough the cost of living is not particularly cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest