The Student Room Group

Moving from England to Scotland - HELP

Hi,
There's a high chance next year I'm moving from England to Scotland, I'm currently in sixth form but I'm more worried because everything is different there and it means starting a fresh again and making new friends which is nerve wracking. It's not confirmed but does anyone know, is this is a good choice or not? What are the pros and cons, how can I easily adjust to the change? x
I’m wondering the same thing! Idk if it’s worth doing 4 years at a Scottish Uni also and have posted a question about this. I can’t say specifically about moving to Scotland from England because I am in the same boat as you but you will make friends with likeminded people. Fresh starts are worth it and help you grow as an individual and is a nice change of pace to live somewhere different <3
Original post by BintyMinty
I’m wondering the same thing! Idk if it’s worth doing 4 years at a Scottish Uni also and have posted a question about this. I can’t say specifically about moving to Scotland from England because I am in the same boat as you but you will make friends with likeminded people. Fresh starts are worth it and help you grow as an individual and is a nice change of pace to live somewhere different <3

I’ve heard from someone that if your A level grades are good then you can skip to 3rd or 2nd year but I’m not an expert, you’ll have to ask the uni. Aww thank you! And for you too xx
Hello!

I had this exact same experience a couple of years ago. I was so anxious to move countries and was really worried I would not fit in, but now I look back and I am so thankful I pushed myself to make the move! Scotland is beautiful and i am sure you will love it here!

Studying in Scotland is amazing, and I would definitely recommend the move if there is a course or specific uni that you're interested in. There are so many benefits to studying in Scotland, such as free bus travel, free period products, beautiful cities and lovely people. It can appear super daunting, but trust me, its better to do a course you love in a beautiful city, than to regret not going because of nerves.

There are also options to do direct entry into higher years, such as second year, if you meet certain requirements set by your uni. i would recommend emailing their recruitment team to see if this is a good option for you. often, but not always, the four year courses are masters too, which can be something to consider!

it is also worth visiting the university if you have the option to, so you can get a feel for the campus and chat to the academics more in depth about your specific course. that way, you can also get a feel for the travel time from your home to the campus, and see if it really is a place you would like to study. you will most likely find yourself falling in love with scotland and the specific city, which will help encourage you when you feel nervous about moving far away :smile:

my main advice is to be scared and do it anyway! if this is a course or uni that you like the feel of and the criteria of the course for, then don't let your nerves hold you back from what could be an incredible experience. you can do it!

all the best,

Lucy :smile:

2nd year languages student
Hi! 3 years ago I made a massive move from Northampton to Aberdeen for university. Best decision I ever made! I’ve made so many lovely friends and have been to so many beautiful places in Scotland that I probably never would’ve even known about if I hadn’t decided to move there for university. Scotland is a wonderful place and the universities are very good and often forgotten by students from England. Don’t be worried about making new friends, you will do that naturally through your accommodation, your course, and through any societies you might join (this is a must by the way!! Especially in your first year! Try everything, be brave. I didn’t do this in my first year because I’m too introverted and I really regret it now & I’m trying to make up for it). You can still stay in contact with your friends from home, and you can give me a new cool place to visit when they come and see you!

My advice? If you really want to do the course, don’t be afraid to make the move. Wherever you end up there will be a big change, even if you stay in England/ closer to home. So don’t lose opportunities just because of the distance! If you want to go then go! You’ll have the best time of your life :smile:
I fully get your concern, but this is the one time in your life where everyone at university will not know a soul, you’re all in this together. You all have equal opportunity to get to know each other. Make sure to talk to as many people as you can, attend freshers events and befriend your flat mates as you can all go out together during freshers. Also, make sure to join societies! Everyone will have the same interests as you in these and it’s the perfect chance to befriend people similar to yourself.

I’m going this year after taking a year out, and i’m just as worried as you are. You will make friends though as long ad you don’t hibernate in your room (as my brother likes to say hahah). I have friends who dropped out after a month, they said it’s too hard to make friends yet they are the type of people who never went out of their way to talk to peers, didn’t go and talk to people on their courses, never left their room besides for necessities, this is the worst social mistake you can make.

Quick Reply

Latest