The Student Room Group

residence on relevant date

I have offers for undergraduate study at two Scottish universities for entry in September 2023. I am a British citizen and have been resident in the EU for my whole life. My fee status at both universities has been assessed as RUK. (For those who don't know, people in my situation are entitled to RUK fee status for courses beginning by 2028.)

Part of the qualification for this RUK fee status is "residence in Scotland on the relevant date," which is 1 August 2023. I find this all illogical and confusing. I don't understand the point of requiring me to be resident a month before the course starts. Regardless, I want to understand if this is something that is actually enforced. Do I really need to find a temporary residence for one month to qualify for my already-assessed RUK fee status? Or is this something they don't really check? I've already been through the fee status determination process so everything else about my fee status has been confirmed. I'm just hesitant to ask this question directly to the universities for fear of putting myself on their radar.
Unfortunately, I do not have answer to your question but will be more than grateful if you share more details about your fee assessment. What did you choose as a place of residency in your application? What happened afterwards? Thank you in advance
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately, I do not have answer to your question but will be more than grateful if you share more details about your fee assessment. What did you choose as a place of residency in your application? What happened afterwards? Thank you in advance

I gave my residence address as my true EU address on my application. I was initially assessed as an international student but contacted them and filled in a fee status questionnaire with details of my father's British citizenship. (At the time I hadn't yet applied for my British passport.) They eventually changed my fee status to RUK.
Thank you so much for your help!
Reply 4
I believe that you unfortunately do need to living in Scotland before 1st of August to be eligible. This means you need somekind of address at least and possibly something like a council tax bill.
Thank you so much for taking time to answer! From your experience, does that mean that we should provide the Scottish address in the initial questionnaire at the moment of application or the Scottish address can be provided at a later stage after the eventual offer? My son is applying this November but for a course starting on September 1th 2024. Our plan is to permanently relocate (the whole family) to Scotland in May, 2024. We are in a slightly different situation. I am an EU citizen living in England for more than 3 years, and my son is an EU citizen currently living in the EU - both having pre-settled status. I understand that every case has a different solution , but your experience and opinion will be priceless!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for taking time to answer! From your experience, does that mean that we should provide the Scottish address in the initial questionnaire at the moment of application or the Scottish address can be provided at a later stage after the eventual offer? My son is applying this November but for a course starting on September 1th 2024. Our plan is to permanently relocate (the whole family) to Scotland in May, 2024. We are in a slightly different situation. I am an EU citizen living in England for more than 3 years, and my son is an EU citizen currently living in the EU - both having pre-settled status. I understand that every case has a different solution , but your experience and opinion will be priceless!

From what you say your son won't qualify for free tuition but might get RUK status. To get free tuition he needs to have lived for 3 years in Scotland at some point in his life and also under the Scotttish Education Act he has to be a UK national. Your status in England might help him be eligible for RUK status but not free tuition
The law is a bit confusing- if you look at the first post here the OP get RUK status not home status( free tuition) even though they are UK national because they have never lived in Scotland for 3 years however they do get English home status ( need to pay uk fees) because if uk national you don't need to haver ever lived in UK.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest