jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In this question, the experiment is repeated with double volume- how would this affect the inital rate of reaction?
I have the concs of both reactants, value of K and the old initial rate of reaction

k=5.05 and other values listed in question. Thank you (it's the second part of the question I'm stuck on)
Attached files
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jazz_xox_)
In this question, the experiment is repeated with double volume- how would this affect the inital rate of reaction?
I have the concs of both reactants, value of K and the old initial rate of reaction

k=5.05 and other values listed in question. Thank you (it's the second part of the question I'm stuck on)
The rate of reaction (initial or not) depends upon the concentration of reactants C and D, hence their concentrations are shown in the rate equation.
Repeat the experiment with different starting concentrations and the rate of reaction will be different too - it must be if you look at the rate equation for this reaction.

If you double the volume using just solvent, you will halve the concentrations of C and D. Work those concentrations out and put those values in the rate equation. K will be unchanged as the temperature will be the same in the repeated experiment.
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
(Original post by TutorsChemistry)
The rate of reaction (initial or not) depends upon the concentration of reactants C and D, hence their concentrations are shown in the rate equation.
Repeat the experiment with different starting concentrations and the rate of reaction will be different too - it must be if you look at the rate equation for this reaction.

If you double the volume using just solvent, you will halve the concentrations of C and D. Work those concentrations out and put those values in the rate equation. K will be unchanged as the temperature will be the same in the repeated experiment.
Ahh thank you, I have the answer now- I was doubling the concentrations rather than halving them. Could you explain a bit more as to why doubling the volume halves the concentration.. is it to do with concentration = moles / volume.. so if the volume is 2 times as big it will cause the concentration to half?
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ahh thank you, I have the answer now- I was doubling the concentrations rather than halving them. Could you explain a bit more as to why doubling the volume halves the concentration.. is it to do with concentration = moles / volume.. so if the volume is 2 times as big it will cause the concentration to half?
Yes, that's exactly the reason why
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
Yes, that's exactly the reason why
Thank you so much! Do you have a website or any other resources by any chance
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much! Do you have a website or any other resources by any chance
Well, yes I have very recently started an A Level chemistry website. The plan is to cover each topic in the A level chemistry syllabuses.

It is very early days and I haven't published about rates yet. So far there are lessons on acids & bases, the pH scale, how to use the ionic product of water. Shortly I will publish about Ka for acids, then Ka for acidic buffers.

Many more topics will follow; eqilibrium and reaction rates are coming soon.
You can register and use for free at http://alevelchemistrytuition.co.uk/sign-up/
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
Well, yes I have very recently started an A Level chemistry website. The plan is to cover each topic in the A level chemistry syllabuses.

It is very early days and I haven't published about rates yet. So far there are lessons on acids & bases, the pH scale, how to use the ionic product of water. Shortly I will publish about Ka for acids, then Ka for acidic buffers.

Many more topics will follow; eqilibrium and reaction rates are coming soon.
You can register and use for free at http://alevelchemistrytuition.co.uk/sign-up/
Brilliant I'll have a look, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (25)
5.59%
Uncertainty around my education (51)
11.41%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (53)
11.86%
Lack of purpose or motivation (58)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.37%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (45)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.71%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (43)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (37)
8.28%

Watched Threads