The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE??!

I was invited to learn further maths after school every Thursday up until the exam in June. I am planning to do maths a-level anyway, so is it still worth it?
Yes. It's very good for bridging the gap between GCSE Maths and A-Level Maths.
Are you going to be doing the AQA L2 Certificate or the Edexcel IGCSE?
Original post by deltagolf
Are you going to be doing the AQA L2 Certificate or the Edexcel IGCSE?

I'm pretty sure it's the Edexcel IGCSE
Reply 4
It’s absolutely worth it,

I’m currently studying my first year of A level maths and I did additional maths at gcse. As I live in Wales, I’m on the wjec spec, but I’m pretty sure they’re very similar :smile:

I really enjoyed the course and now I am so glad I did it as roughly half of the A-level course I’ve already seen in additional, and I definitely have an advantage compared to people who didn’t take it
Reply 5
Original post by Luckystars500
I'm pretty sure it's the Edexcel IGCSE

The AQA Level 2 cert is much more common if you're at an English state school. It's definitely useful as a bridge towards A level though it has become less so with the introduction of the 9-1 GCSE as this has more content than the old GCSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
I was invited to learn further maths after school every Thursday up until the exam in June. I am planning to do maths a-level anyway, so is it still worth it?

No - focus on getting a grade 9 and a set of good GCSEs. GCSE FMaths is not worth the time ...
Reply 7

You won’t really be at a disadvantage if you don’t do it. AS Maths is sort of like GCSE but harder. If you can get a good grade in GCSE Maths, then you still should be fine.
I’m doing it at the moment, and as it’s neither a GCSE or A level and not compulsory, it doesn’t really matter what you get in it. I’m just hoping that I pass it, but I wouldn’t be too disappointed if I don’t because I know I will be focusing on all my other GCSE subjects.

I did a similar qualification in GCSE FSMQ Additional Maths, in essence these things are at its core, a 'taster' into AS Mathematics. I.e, they will dip you into topics you'll be covering in C1/C2.

If you can do GCSE Maths, you can do AS Maths just fine, so ultimately it's not compulsory or important for anything, just take it really if you like Maths and want to challenge yourself.

I'd especially recommend it if you intend on taking Further Maths A Level, not inherently because it will cover work from that course, but it will give you a good foundation and platform to be ahead of the curve, however at AS it is not designed to be much harder.

Quick Reply

Latest