The Student Room Group

Is further maths gcse worth it?

I really enjoy maths, but I've not found anything in the gcse course so far particularly challenging. I plan on taking maths for a level (and further maths) and I'm assuming all of the content in gcse further maths will be covered early in the a level course so would there be a point to learning gcse further maths on my own (as my school doesn't offer it) over the next 9 months and sitting it privately alongside my other exams in may/june? or should I just wait for sixth form as it's only next year and just continue with the gcses I'm already taking
Reply 1
Original post by lc_007
I really enjoy maths, but I've not found anything in the gcse course so far particularly challenging. I plan on taking maths for a level (and further maths) and I'm assuming all of the content in gcse further maths will be covered early in the a level course so would there be a point to learning gcse further maths on my own (as my school doesn't offer it) over the next 9 months and sitting it privately alongside my other exams in may/june? or should I just wait for sixth form as it's only next year and just continue with the gcses I'm already taking

Theres really no reason not to do gcse further maths. If you are quite good at gcse maths (which you seem to be) then gcse further maths will just be another easy grade 8-9 (Seriously). It really isn't a challenging course and actually covers a decent amount of the year 12 maths content. Just do it.
Reply 2
Original post by lc_007

I wouldn't bother - make sure you have covered all the GCSE spec- some schools don't teach all the grade 9 topics.

A good source of revision is: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/worksheets.php?wdid=27

I teach Maths and we find aiming for grade 9s across the board serves students better, we do teach all the spec and talk about how each topic is extended at A level, we do lots of problem solving - our results at GCSE and A level are very good.

Quick Reply

Latest