The Student Room Group

rejections post interview?

I've been lucky enough to be offered 4 interviews, but I just heard that I've already been rejected from 2 med schools post-interview.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a third med school and have my final interview this week, and I'm so scared because I really don't want four rejections post-interview.
I feel like I've worked so hard to get to interview stage and really don't want to go through all that effort again to reapply.

Is there anything I can do to step it up for my last interview?
I'm a shy person and panic slightly when I get asked questions I haven't prepared for, but I don't know how to get over that. I'm really worried that my interview skills aren't good enough to get any offers, which is disappointing as I really think I've worked hard enough to get into medicine. Any advice?
It’s not over until it’s over, you’ll be fine

Just remember how many thousands of good applicants each med school has - it’s not uncommon to get 4 rejections :smile:
Reply 2
Easier said than done, but try to stay calm.

I was really nervous in my interview for Manchester and kept repeating myself. But in my second interview I tried my best to stay calm by talking a bit more slowly and breathing more. By doing so, you give yourself that extra second or two you need to think and give a good answer I found rather than going straight for an answer.

Also, if you feel yourself panicking or rambling, just apologise and ask if you can have a second or to compose yourself. :smile:

Hope that helps, and best of luck!
Reply 3
I'm in the exact same situation! 2 rejections post interviews, and I'm waiting on 2 more offers/rejections. I'm trying not to worry but it's scary :/ I put so much time and effort into it!
Reply 4
Original post by pixiefuller
I've been lucky enough to be offered 4 interviews, but I just heard that I've already been rejected from 2 med schools post-interview.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a third med school and have my final interview this week, and I'm so scared because I really don't want four rejections post-interview.
I feel like I've worked so hard to get to interview stage and really don't want to go through all that effort again to reapply.

Is there anything I can do to step it up for my last interview?
I'm a shy person and panic slightly when I get asked questions I haven't prepared for, but I don't know how to get over that. I'm really worried that my interview skills aren't good enough to get any offers, which is disappointing as I really think I've worked hard enough to get into medicine. Any advice?

Being a doctor is more than just having good academics, a good P.S, good work experience.
You have to be confident, decisive and responsible and if you can’t display that during interview then you will likely be rejected. I like interviews for this reason. You shouldn’t be anxious, if you are anxious now, how will you be able to deal in tough situations such as night shifts at hospital while being the only jnr dr around? Although you seem like a hard working individual, you must show you are more than your written application. Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by pixiefuller

I'm a shy person and panic slightly when I get asked questions I haven't prepared for, but I don't know how to get over that.

Pause before answering any questions you're unsure of. That is very much allowed and they will understand. Don't say 'hmmmmmm' or 'let me think about that', just pause before answering.

If you legit didn't understand a question, ask them to repeat or clarify it.

It sounds like your final interview is soon. Just remember to hone body language and posture (no slouching, no excessive hand movements), maintain good eye contact, address every member of the panel when answering a question (with more eye contact to the actual person who asked the question), and speak loudly and clearly. Good luck :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending